St. Croix Tube scrapers stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I run into St. Croix regularly with the tube scraper that will only pull out maybe a inch to maybe 1/2 way. I know it is from running the stoves dirty and getting creosote and build up in between the tubes. I have been running mine 12 yrs now and it is fine because I pay attention:) . Everything is welded together in the top. Anybody have any ideas to get these things actuating? The tubes are staggered and very close together so I have not found a way to get between them

Reactions: Xena
Baby bottle brush and emery cloth.

I use a putty knife, at an appropriate angle, to clean between the tubes. I also use it to clean the "shelf" at the front, where the scraper pushes ash. No problems yet, the scraper is working fine.
When I got the stove (used), ash was packed on this shelf, and the scraper wouldn't come forward all the way.

Also use putty knife between tubes. Be careful with rod/scraper, definitely don't want to break it where rod screws in.

I've had to torch out and scrape creosote on these stoves before. Cleaning rod wouldn't budge at all, but after cleaning they were fine again.

I use a putty knife, at an appropriate angle, to clean between the tubes. I also use it to clean the "shelf" at the front, where the scraper pushes ash. No problems yet, the scraper is working fine.
When I got the stove (used), ash was packed on this shelf, and the scraper wouldn't come forward all the way.
Yes I see that all the time. On mine I pull the rod out and bounce it at the end until it clanks. Then I know the build up is gone. I will try the putty knife on the next stove

Also use putty knife between tubes. Be careful with rod/scraper, definitely don't want to break it where rod screws in.

I've had to torch out and scrape creosote on these stoves before. Cleaning rod wouldn't budge at all, but after cleaning they were fine again.
That is a good tip. A torch would soften the build up and make it so the scraper could get moving again

Funny how you bounce scraper off fully pulled position and listen for metallic ring noise, same here. If it makes a dull noise it has impacted ash build-up which needs to he addressed with putty knife.

Funny how you bounce scraper off fully pulled position and listen for metallic ring noise, same here. If it makes a dull noise it has impacted ash build-up which needs to he addressed with putty knife.
I usually just keep bouncing it watching the ash fall until I get the ring :) . But the putty knife idea is great for the ones that dont maintain theres like we do

Funny you should mention that dull noise. Mine was like that when I got it. It felt like the scraper was hitting felt. A little digging with the putty knife did the trick. This stove is very easy to maintain, if you know where to clean, and how.

Love my St Croix it's 15 years old now but it's a heat monster for sure. I joined this forum when we installed the stove. Big wave to all!

Reactions: rickwai
I bought a used St croix and it was very dirty. I cannot remove the heat exchange baffle; It wont lift up and over the lip it needs to. My tube scraper is stuck as well and the tubes are very dirty. When i try to push the baffle up and over, I can see it moving the scraper slightly. Does the scraper have to be in any specific position to remove this baffle? I can see thick creosote buildup which is stopping my scraper. Not sure how to clean out the creosote without removing the baffle besides possible torching but there's no way for me to get an angle on almost anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I just tried removing baffle without pulling cleaning rod forward on Greenfield. Came out just fine. Just have to get baffle to move slightly on front side then tilt it towards firepot to remove. Don't force cleaning rid as it can be ripped away from cleaning assembly. Mapp gas will be your friend as it sounds gummed up. Guessing Auburn run too long on low setting or lack of cleaning. Pull exh motor too as I'm sure it had creosote in there and do behind firepot channels via two small cleaning holes on either side

I bought a used St croix and it was very dirty. I cannot remove the heat exchange baffle; It wont lift up and over the lip it needs to. My tube scraper is stuck as well and the tubes are very dirty. When i try to push the baffle up and over, I can see it moving the scraper slightly. Does the scraper have to be in any specific position to remove this baffle? I can see thick creosote buildup which is stopping my scraper. Not sure how to clean out the creosote without removing the baffle besides possible torching but there's no way for me to get an angle on almost anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
2 year old thread, you should start a new one, BUT, in any stove that is gunked up,or scrapers stuck, I first recommend a good,long hot burn/fire, it crystalizes stuff to carbon.

Reactions: SootSucker
I just tried removing baffle without pulling cleaning rod forward on Greenfield. Came out just fine. Just have to get baffle to move slightly on front side then tilt it towards firepot to remove. Don't force cleaning rid as it can be ripped away from cleaning assembly. Mapp gas will be your friend as it sounds gummed up. Guessing Auburn run too long on low setting or lack of cleaning. Pull exh motor too as I'm sure it had creosote in there and do behind firepot channels via two small cleaning holes on either side
My stove is a prescott exl. Just finished with cleaning exhaust motor and blower. Replaced all gaskets and other parts as well. only thing left is the baffle. Ill try that this afternoon. Thanks