Start up differences in pellet stoves???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fortisi876

Sep 27, 2008
Tn
Hello all!

I learned a few years back that newer pellet stoves run differently than my Whitfield Advantage Optima3.

My stove cycles on and off as it calls for heat which apparently puts a beat down on my igniter, new one from last season and it's burnt out already. Ugh!
BTW- I'm 99% certain it's an igniter problem since the stove seems to run properly after I hand start it. Problem is once temp is achieved, it shuts down and you know the rest....

It's my understanding that newer stoves have a variable speed auger that is controlled by the current need, if it's heat it spins as quickly as needed, if no heat then it runs just fast enough to keep a constant flame....is this correct?

If yes, my question is, is there anyway to modify my stove so it continuously feeds a flame, thus eliminating the need for an igniter?

hmmm, you could remove the thermostat and place a "jumper" in its place to give you manual control over the unit, but I do not think there is a factory mod for your stove to give it High/Low modulation via thermostat.

A thermostat with a larger "swing" (more degrees between turning off and then turning back on) can reduce the number of times your igniter gets used.

My Quad works the same way... a lot of times, we'll just flick the t-stat to the max and then manually switch the stove between hi/med/low to control the room temperature. To me, it's more comfortable when it runs continuously vs cycling on and off. (An analog control from the t-stat to the heat level settings would be great IMO.)

Run your stove on a lower setting, run the stat on a higher setting, or run the stove in manual and not t-stat mode.

As for the stove sensing the temp. Harmans do this and will adjust the flame accordingly. Other stoves may do just as yours (On/Off) or some do High/Low (goes to level 1 when stat is satisfied, then goes to selected heat range when there is a call for heat)

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

Dexter- I think it was the Harmans that I recall do that, I was hoping some retired intelligent engineer may have come up with some modification to run on/ff stoves as such.....bummer!

Status
Not open for further replies.