Starting issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bruno321

Sep 3, 2019
WA
Hello, I have a Whitfield pellet stove in my woodshop and love it. I've had it for over fifteen years and it's had a lot of use. I have it on a thermostat set at 55-60 degrees. Its main purpose is to keep the moisture and cold reasonable so the wood and plywood doesn't warp and keeps the machinery from surface rust. A lot of times I override the thermostat and turn it off and on at the control panel. Late last winter I noticed that when I turned it on, there would be a clicking sound as it sounded like the blower motor was trying to start. It would click about once every two or three seconds and then fire up after about 6 or so clicks, sometimes as much as 20 clicks. It only did it when it was really cold and was first starting up. If I shut it down for a short time, it fires right back up. I was thinking the motor was sticking but it turns freely. Anyone know if there is a relay or capacitor or any other device that could be causing the problem, or should I look for a new motor? Many thanks in advance

I’d try oiling your motor with some 3 in 1 before you do anything. Should be 2 oil ports on the motor.