Starting new fire tricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird77

Feeling the Heat
Jul 4, 2007
Hallstead Pa.
I tried the propane torch instead of the gel starting my P61 yesterday. Only took apx. 2 minutes to get it going, so I think Ill say goodbye to the starting gel. Just thought Id give my opinion as I know its been discussed here before.

I tried it with my p38..it doesnt seem to work too well...turns some pellets black..and gets a few turning into coals...but the flames
die down and go out.

Using alcohol or gel is the only way I can get it going and stay going

Right now I`m out of charcoal fluid and presently using up my gel supply to start my morning fires to take off the chill.
I simply mix / saturate a cup of pellets (in a plastic bowl) and pour it into the burn pot , light it and close the door tight and I get an instant high burning flame that causes the feed to respond within two minutes and the stove to produce heat really quick.
The torch method stinks up the room and takes too long. I find if I have to resort to the torch it`s because I didn`t use enough gel to begin with.
BTW, Wal Mart has gel for $8 a quart vs $8-$11 per pint at most other places.

we have a quad castile which is self igniting, however I have used (FIRESTARTER compressed wood blocks) instead of kindling for a wood fire in our fireplace.....couldn't help but wonder if a small piece of this and a handful of pellets would be adequate and appropriate in your type of stoves....

ok...I'm curious. I want to use a starter for my Quad Castille to save on the igniter.....however, I have a perhaps a silly question. If I am using a starter method, how do I do it so the igniter doesnt come on...I mean when I turn the stove up so it comes on the igniter starts automatically.....hmm....maybe I'm missing something here...lol......appreciate the help.

MainePellethead said:
ok...I'm curious. I want to use a starter for my Quad Castille to save on the igniter.....however, I have a perhaps a silly question. If I am using a starter method, how do I do it so the igniter doesnt come on...I mean when I turn the stove up so it comes on the igniter starts automatically.....hmm....maybe I'm missing something here...lol......appreciate the help.

It`s no doubt wired in to turn on and off automatically but you could simply disconnect the wired connection to the starter . Even better would be to cut in a simple on/off switch . That should be really versatile and pretty easy to do.

our quad came with an extra ignitor....original ignitor is still firing after 5 yrs....I posed the question for those who need to start their stoves manually....firestarter blocks are roughly 3"x7"x1" of compressed sawdust and wax....they are easy to cut, to fit the size of any particular firepot....for manual starting I thought this may be a less expensive alternative since they also start with a match....has anyone ever tried these and are they effective? if so it seems a safe, easy way to start these types of stoves....

Tried the lignetics jel from true value, its aaaaaaahright
tried the red gel from walmart. a buck more, twice as much and getis it goin first try every time. Its a little thinner and I think flows into the pellets.
Tried a torch with the P38, got a few going, tuirned some black, went out as soon as I shut the torch off

Hoverfly said:
Try the jell hand santizer, it's cheaper.
Haven't a stove to try any of these methods yet, but am following for the day when it arrives. But, hand sanitizer? Geez, what the heck do they put in that stuff that you can start a fire with it. A world where volatile chemicals even infiltrate our soap. Hope the stuff comes with warnings about not washing your hands near an open flame!

bungalobob said:
Haven't a stove to try any of these methods yet, but am following
for the day when it arrives. But, hand sanitizer?

There's alcohol in hand sanitizer.

zeta said:
bungalobob said:
Haven't a stove to try any of these methods yet, but am following
for the day when it arrives. But, hand sanitizer?

There's alcohol in hand sanitizer.
I knew there to be alcohol in the sanitizer, but it is hard to believe that it would be enough to help start a fire. I'll be giving it a try though, sure sounds interesting. And if saves a few bucks...

Bear Grylls used hand sanitizer on an episode of Man Vs Wild with a flint and steel to light a fire with some dry tinder. Or maybe it was that Les Stroud guy from Survivor Man...

bungalobob said:
I knew there to be alcohol in the sanitizer, but it is hard to believe that it would be enough to help start a fire. I'll be giving it a try though, sure sounds interesting. And if saves a few bucks...
Most hand sanitizers are 62% alcohol. Plenty to burn.

I teach at a suburban middle school near Albany, NY. During a Right To Know meeting we were informed about how kids were using hand sanitizer as a Molotov cocktail of sorts. Lighting them and tossing them down the halls of a school. This didn't happen in our school but there have been reports of this happening across the country.

No, he didn't demo this for us.... although it would have been a cool demonstration!

Keith

DiggerJim said:
bungalobob said:
Most hand sanitizers are 62% alcohol. Plenty to burn.

Got to admit, my curiosity is up on this sanitizer stuff. I'll be trying it in the backyard just to see how it works in the fire pit. Won't let the kids in on the Molitov Cocktail aspect though, wouldn't be prudent.

I use the firestarter blocks and wood shavings soaked in parafin. Both methods work great in my stove. I could never get that gel stuff to work.

I just bought a quart of 91% IPA from WM the other day for next to nothing. You can water it down a little if you want to stretch your $. I poked a small hole in the top of the IPA foil seal so I can pour a little at a time w/o fear of pouring too much. Anyway, I've been taking a cup or so of pellets and throwing them in a little Tupperware container (probably holds 1.5 cups?) which I'm using just for lighting the stove. I throw a cup of pellets in the container, squirt in a little IPA (just enough to wet the most of the pellets) and give it a shake or two. I then pour them into the burn chamber and light. The entire process takes only a few seconds and in two minutes you have a raging fire... Oh, and did I mention it's very cheap, fast, and easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.