Starting the New Year with a steal of a deal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With my ancient Whitfield I room blower sounding like its doesn't have long to live, I drove to town today and checked-out a junker Whitfield Advantage II insert at a highway flea market. The owner was sick of it so he lowered the price and I bought it for parts. I got a good convection blower, auger and motor, door with glass, and the fire brick set which will replace my cement board substitute on the sides.

For all of that I didn't pay the posted price of $50. but only $20. Talk about a bargain!
The blower's squirrel cage would turn very stiffly. I figured it's shaft was coated with heat thickened excess oil, but 15 minutes of WD40 and lots of turning finally freed it up. I then connected it to an electrical cord and it ran like a top. Strong and silent. Only problem is that the motor is on the wrong side. But that beats paying the $170. a new one would have cost me if I could have found it.
Now I have to figure out how to mount it with the motor protruding from the side of the stove after removing the side panel. It mounts on the opposite side as the Advantage II.

Does anyone have a recollection of that being done before? If the mounting holes line up, it should work, though it won't pass aesthetic muster.

Attachments

• Whitfield.jpg
    Whitfield.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: Madcodger
Status
Not open for further replies.