Steel wedge for Ax replacement handles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
My dad gave me a older double ax head. Went to tractor supply and picked up a replacemnt handle, but it only came with a wooden wedge taped to the handle. Guy working the info counter toward the back said steel wedges were only used on hammers and the wood wedge was the only thing I needed......can I get some advice and direction please?

A steel (aluminum) wedge should be driven at a right angle to the wood wedge to expand the handle in the other direction. They can be purchased separately.

http://www.bosstoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6225

h018003.jpg

i used those wedges on my maul. I don't know what that dude was talking about, cause I see those little metal wedges strapped right to some replacement axe handles (although, not all)

Status
Not open for further replies.