Stick with Hushy, or go better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
My much abused Husqvarna 350 sheared off an oversized muffler bolt yesterday, so I'm in the market for a new saw. I was sure I'd go Stihl next time, but I just bought a new bar and chain for the Husky and feel like I need to get my $50 worth.

I gather the 450 is the modern equivalent saw, but reviews seem mixed. I have to say that apart from the muffler issue, (which ultimately led to several other issues), the 350 has been a great saw. It has always started easy and had all the power I'll ever need.

What are my options for an 18" saw? It will be used lightly almost every month for cleaning up, then maybe once each year for a major firewood processing session. It's not going to be felling anything more than 12" diameter, but it could be bucking anything up to its size limit.

Suggestions and thoughts welcome

TE

I have to admit, I too liked my 350 . . . the size and power were fine. However, last Spring or so I upgraded to the Jonsered 2258 (equivalent to the Husky 555) and I have to say I am rather pleased with the increased performance.

I thought long and hard about changing over the sprocket and chain so I could use my old bar and chains, but in the end I opted to go with the 20 inch bar and the different pitched chain that was OEM . . . and again . . . so far I'm rather pleased as it really tears through the wood.

That said . . . if you truly don't need or want more performance I would guess that the 450 should be fine for your needs.

If you like wrenching on saws, you could turn your 350 into a 346XP with a new top end. I, too, would go 545 (50cc) over 450. You get a slightly detuned pro saw (550XP) over a clamshell. Even if $100-$150 more, worth it IMHO.

Reactions: Jon1270
My husky 435 just bit the dust and I needed a new mid range saw. After a week of research I went with an Echo CS-490. The Echo has many features I like over the Husky and was highly recommended by a lot of different people across the board. Echo has big sales now and then so check their web site. I was able to get 20% off the CS-490.
The 490 comes with either a 18 or 20 inch bar. I went with 20 because the general opinion is the saw can handle it. Plus its the lightest 50cc saw I could find in its class. A simple on/off toggle switch and a push/pull choke.

I love my CS490, it's also nice to get a saw that doesn't have all kinds of extra stuff on it, just a basic 2 stroke like a saw should be

Stihl is not an upgrade over Husqvarna. Think of them like Ford and Chevrolet in such that both have similar offerings within a class and price point. Each brand has features that may be attractive to different users for different reasons.

Coming from your current saw, I would say get a Husky 455 Rancher and put an 18" bar on it instead of the stock 20". You'll be familiar with how the brand operates and get a cost effective increase in power at the same time.

Reactions: D8Chumley
No knock on Husqy, but you can find some real values on 42-61 cc Dolmars (aka Makitas). Pro quality for homeowner saw prices. No-brainer IMO.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Comparing my 455 and the echo 490, the 455 feels slow and heavy, you might try finding one of each to try

Stihl is not an upgrade over Husqvarna. Think of them like Ford and Chevrolet in such that both have similar offerings within a class and price point. Each brand has features that may be attractive to different users for different reasons

Just goes to show how well Stihls marketing budget and dealer network is working to bolster a " perceived " superior product. Most folks assume Stihl saws are the best money can buy. I'm not Stihl bashing I own a few myself. As someone who has worked on most brands I agree it's really Ford vs Chevy etc

As for my input on a new 50cc saw. husky 545 or it's sister saw in red Jonsered 2252. Pro saws detuned by 1/2 HP from a 550xp and 2253 minus $100 bucks. Priced well under $500 for a pro 50cc saw made in Sweden with auto tune ( same as Mtronic) and hard to beat the value. I also really like Dolmar for high value to performance etc.

Stihl makes great saws. But you could get a pro magnesium cased saw for not much more if not the same money as a Stihl MS271 plastic clam saw. You would be giving up a lot of durability and performance in the 271 if you put Stihl blinders on.