Stihi 038 Mag or 044/46 Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ADK_XJ

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
Hey all, been off forum for a long time (2 kids, busy job) but with winter coming I’m getting eager to do a good deal of cutting and maybe even some chainsaw milling.

I’m looking to fill a sweet spot between my two Farm Boss saws that can pull a 25” bar through big oak for felling and might even handle some light milling of timbers from 16-20” diameter pine, cherry and the occasional maple.

To that end, I’m looking at a refurbished 038 Magnum or an upgraded 044 with a 52mm cylinder from an 046. There’s about a $150 price difference, so mostly trying to tell if the 044/46 is worth the extra dough.

I know y’all got opinions, let’s hear em.

Or I suppose I could shell out $200 more for a rebuilt 064 but the condition doesn't appear quite as solid as the 038 or 044. I'm also concerned about general utility as a felling and occasional firewood saw...then again, I did grow up on an 041AV.

First thing to check on any used saw before you buy it is the condition of the piston.Pull the muffler off to see it.
If anyone doesn't want you to do that you their saw set it down and walk away.
None of the saws mentioned are between your saws.The 038 will walk away with the 041's lunch money everyday.
The 038 Magnum will be the least powerful of the three,if the Hybrid was done with an OEM cylinder.
The 064 is the most powerful with the weight of a 046.
You say rebuilt,that means so many different things.
If the 064 has been gone through by a reputable builder than that is the one for you.A proper rebuilt saw will have all OEM parts,with an exception to a high quality piston.So that means new OEM rubber parts like intake boot, fuel line, impulse line, bearings, seals and rings.Plus a Carb rebuild.

First thing to check on any used saw before you buy it is the condition of the piston.Pull the muffler off to see it.
If anyone doesn't want you to do that you their saw set it down and walk away.
None of the saws mentioned are between your saws.The 038 will walk away with the 041's lunch money everyday.
The 038 Magnum will be the least powerful of the three,if the Hybrid was done with an OEM cylinder.
The 064 is the most powerful with the weight of a 046.
You say rebuilt,that means so many different things.
If the 064 has been gone through by a reputable builder than that is the one for you.A proper rebuilt saw will have all OEM parts,with an exception to a high quality piston.So that means new OEM rubber parts like intake boot, fuel line, impulse line, bearings, seals and rings.Plus a Carb rebuild.

Thanks, good reminders and, yes, I will double check the piston for scoring and that OEM parts were used. To clarify, I meant a "sweet spot" more in terms of usage/function between my old and new Farm Bosses as those have been my work horse limbing and bucking for a long time.

Anyway, I read up on some other threads and read a lot of comments about the excellent power to weight ratio of the 064 and that is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm now leaning in that direction...

I picked up a used 460....great power to weight, decent AV as well. I'd go with the 044 all day long assuming it's in decent shape as described above.

Update: the 044/046 hybrid has a Japanese aftermarket piston, the 064 seller refused to divulge the make used in the rebuild...found a 440 with a meteor and all OEM parts for about the same cost as the 064. Will likely go that route but we'll see.

If you are going to be milling the 064 would be the minimum. My old 064 was my favorite saw but not for milling. An 088 or 084 is a much better choice for the mill. I milled some with my 064 and it was ok but it was very hard on the saw. Problem with the big saws is that you need a wheelbarrow to carry it around so its only good for the mill but the 064 will be light enough to use in the woods if you eat your wheaties. I would pass on the 044 if you was gonna do some milling but it would pull a 25" chain and it would be my choice for what you described less the mill. Like the 064 the 044 is also one of my all time favorites.

Following up on this about a month later now that I have some more time...I'm curious what the consensus would be for a fair price on an 046 Magnum (factory) dual port with all Stihl OEM parts? Piston looks good.

$600? $650?

Thats pretty close for one in decent shape for this area.

It better be very nice for that money.Including a bar and chain in new condition.

Reactions: JimBear
They are a very desirable saw in my area due to the size of the trees I guess. Local tree cutters use them for their everyday carry saw in the woods. Also the 046 seems to be in higher demand than the later models at least for the pros.

It better be very nice for that money.Including a bar and chain in new condition.
It has a used bar and chain, what would you say was a fair price for a DP 046 Mag?

They are a very desirable saw in my area due to the size of the trees I guess. Local tree cutters use them for their everyday carry saw in the woods. Also the 046 seems to be in higher demand than the later models at least for the pros.
I have heard similar things here.

I have heard similar things here.

Once a few years back I had a ms 200 T and a 020T for sale at the same time on Craigslist. The 020 got three times the response even though they are the exact same saw less the flippy caps for the 200. Almost all the calls were from pros and both saws were listed at $500. Lots of pros want a zero for the first number on their classic Stihls 020, 026, 036, 044 046 066, 084, 088.

Once a few years back I had a ms 200 T and a 020T for sale at the same time on Craigslist. The 020 got three times the response even though they are the exact same saw less the flippy caps for the 200. Almost all the calls were from pros and both saws were listed at $500. Lots of pros want a zero for the first number on their classic Stihls 020, 026, 036, 044 046 066, 084, 088.
Thanks, that's helpful - could you elaborate on what makes the older, "0" models more desirable?

Different reasons depending on the model but many think the pre auto tune were better. Some are supposed to be better built and some of the newer models had problems. At least the owners of say an 066 say they are much better vs someone who just dropped 1500 plus on a new 661 may have a different opinion lol. CA had some smog regulations also so pre smog was a factor adding weight and less power.

Last edited:
It has a used bar and chain, what would you say was a fair price for a DP 046 Mag?
I got a great deal on mine because the tank vent was leaking.It has heated grips as well.
So i am biased,plus when you quote $600 US that is like $850 Can.
If that is what a 046 costs where you are then you need to shop somewhere else.
But so long you are satisfied with the price and the saw,go for it.
I am cheap and would be shopping for a better deal myself,but i can fix anything so that works to my advantage.

I got a great deal on mine because the tank vent was leaking.It has heated grips as well.
So i am biased,plus when you quote $600 US that is like $850 Can.
If that is what a 046 costs where you are then you need to shop somewhere else.
But so long you are satisfied with the price and the saw,go for it.
I am cheap and would be shopping for a better deal myself,but i can fix anything so that works to my advantage.
Any tips on how to shop for good saws outside the area? I found a 460 in good shape with meteor piston and warming handles in the $500s. Are the artic wrap handles all that?

In general Meteor piston & cylinders are quality components. I have no experience with heated handles but everyone I have spoken with that has them loves them. I have a 440 with a 460p/c that I have occasionally milled with & have had no problems. I milled some Cherry & Mulberry with it. Heat is the killer of saws & milling is hard on them, make sure & let it idle for a bit after each cut to cool it down, 15-30sec was the recommendation I got depending on air temps. I wouldn’t be out milling in 90 degree weather. My 440 & my 462 both have 25” bars with 3/8 full chisel chains & I have no problems with them in the hardwoods around here.

In general Meteor piston & cylinders are quality components. I have no experience with heated handles but everyone I have spoken with that has them loves them. I have a 440 with a 460p/c that I have occasionally milled with & have had no problems. I milled some Cherry & Mulberry with it. Heat is the killer of saws & milling is hard on them, make sure & let it idle for a bit after each cut to cool it down, 15-30sec was the recommendation I got depending on air temps. I wouldn’t be out milling in 90 degree weather. My 440 & my 462 both have 25” bars with 3/8 full chisel chains & I have no problems with them in the hardwoods around here.
Thanks, this is very helpful as a lot of answers are "get a 066/660" - most of what I plan to mill on my property is 24" or less cherry. Other than that, I may mill some pine timbers for an eventual sugar shack.

One question: when you say 15-30 sec, is that the amount of cool down time or the duration of a cut before resting / cooling?

Thanks, this is very helpful as a lot of answers are "get a 066/660" - most of what I plan to mill on my property is 24" or less cherry. Other than that, I may mill some pine timbers for an eventual sugar shack.

One question: when you say 15-30 sec, is that the amount of cool down time or the duration of a cut before resting / cooling?
Duration of your cut will depend on the length of your cut, width of what you are milling & how sharp your chain is. 15-30 sec was referring to cool down after your cut. Always make sure you are full of fuel & oil also. My stuff was about 8’ long x 12”-14” dia. I was using a Granberg mill & their milling chain also. My mill is a 24” & if I remember correctly I can mill a 22” log. There are several people that know far more about milling than I do. I have just shared my experiences.

Reactions: ADK_XJ
Duration of your cut will depend on the length of your cut, width of what you are milling & how sharp your chain is. 15-30 sec was referring to cool down after your cut. Always make sure you are full of fuel & oil also. My stuff was about 8’ long x 12”-14” dia. I was using a Granberg mill & their milling chain also. My mill is a 24” & if I remember correctly I can mill a 22” log. There are several people that know far more about milling than I do. I have just shared my experiences.

Granberg mills require 6" extra length at the tip so you can only mill an 18" wide log with a 24" bar. 42" log with a 48" bar etc. I just checked and I can mill a maximum 33" wide log with my 36" mill but the bar would need to be at least 42" long. Your ok for 24" and down with a 066/660 but like mentioned above slow and easy with cooling rests. I did fine with my old 064 with smaller planks in softwood. Also regular crosscut chains cut easier but leave a rougher finish. I mill with full skip in softwood mostly but its far from smooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: ADK_XJ and JimBear