Stihl 028 AVS stalls when warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgfarm

Aug 24, 2013
Ottawa, ON
My saw after being borrowed this year stalls after a few minutes, it will start cold, run and idle okay but will stall and not restart until it cools off again. Is this just a carb tuning thing?

Anybody near Ottawa willing to give a carb tuning tutorial for a growler of the local brewery's ale?

Thanks

Mike

Plugged gas tank vent, maybe? What kind of saw is it?

Reactions: Foragefarmer
Plugged gas tank vent, maybe? What kind of saw is it?

+1 Worth a look, the tank vent on that saw is just a rubber tube with a screw in it. I have a 028 and that was the first thing it needed after buying it off CL followed promptly by a fuel line and filter.

Have you opened the gas cap while hot and checked to see if it would run again for a little while? If it does I would replace the tank vent.

Could also be the coil.

Also check the impulse line and carb seals. If the fuel pump (run by the impulse) is not working, it will run out of gas pretty fast.

It could be a lot of things......but if it's even a little scored, you're just chasing your tail. That's why I said the pull the muffler first.

It could be a lot of things......but if it's even a little scored, you're just chasing your tail. That's why I said the pull the muffler first.

After re-reading the OP you may be right about this one.

"My saw after being borrowed this year stalls after a few minutes..."

Fatal mistake, loaning out a good chainsaw. Any saw is only one tank of straight gas from being scored. Assume it was straight gassed, or bad gassed. Or run with marine oil and gunked up.

I'd run it with a cheap spark tester attached and wait for it to die. If it has good spark immediately after it dies, pull the muff as MM suggested and take peak, then move on to troubleshooting the fuel system. If it dies with intermittent or weak spark, well, there you go. (Coil)

Reactions: StihlHead
I'd run it with a cheap spark tester attached and wait for it to die. If it has good spark immediately after it dies, pull the muff as MM suggested and take peak, then move on to troubleshooting the fuel system. If it dies with intermittent or weak spark, well, there you go. (Coil)

Now if it has a point system on it then it may have issues that cause poor spark like you are saying........but on the electronic version the 1300 coil is about bulletproof.

If spark is suspect, then unplug the kill wire......those saws, and the 026 are prone the have a short in that wire.

Okay thanks for the advice, not a carb tuning thing then, I will dump the fuel and pull the muffler, I don't have a spark tester at this point so a peek at the muffler is the first thing I can do later today. then I will look at the fuel tank vent.

thanks for everything.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.