Stihl 029 Farm Boss - Running issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

525fury

Jan 13, 2011
Smyrna, TN
I've got a Stihl 029 saw the I have had for 12 years; Awesome saw and love it.
Lately, I have had some issues with it trying to die on me.
It will always start cold with no issues. I will cut for about 15 minutes, then it starts acting up. It will try to die coming off idle, when giving it gas. It will die a lot. One pull and it starts back up, but same thing over and over again, it seems like after it is hot and has been used for a bit. Sometimes I can't get it started back up.

I just got thru adjusting the H/L and idle, and the saw runs great, at least for a while!

I thought the fuel filter might need replacing, but I checked it today, and it looks clean as a whistle.
I checked the spark arrester screen over the muffler, and it was completely clean with no clogs.

Any suggestions?
Really don't want to take it to the dealer, but if I don't figure it out, I am gonna have to, as cutting season will be here in about a month.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Check/replace the fuel line & tank vent, then re tune again. A C

Check fuel filter.................

All of the above sound good. It is starving for fuel.

1.) Cap vent
2.) Fuel filter
3.) Fuel line (but not as likely)

Respectfully disagree on the fuel line. Ethanol & age cracks them, & 290's seem to eat them for some reason. Also, be careful not to run it for work till you find the prob. if it is fuel you don't wanna lean seize it. A C

I picked up a new tank vent today and will install this weekend, then give that a try.
The fuel line and filter looked good when inspected, but if the tank vent does not fix it, I will install new ones of those too.

Thanks for all advice, you guys are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.