Stihl 044 to buy or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kscowboy

Dec 30, 2009
kansas
Looking to buy a used 044 with no blade or chain is this a good saw and would $350.00 be a good price or should i just buy a noew 390/391 thanks

That sounds like a expensive old saw that you are going to spend time and money on. I'd pass but I don't know what is available in Kansas. I bought a 440 Magnum, like new, complete with a 24 inch bar and chain for $420'00, about three months ago. Runs like a top. You're right to try for a Stihl, but probably not that one. David

kscowboy said:
Looking to buy a used 044 with no blade or chain is this a good saw and would $350.00 be a good price or should i just buy a noew 390/391 thanks

When did they quit making the 044? If it's a 20 year old saw I say take a pass. If it's 10 years old and not logger-used it'd be worth a good hard look.

044 can date back 20 years it would need to be in great shape for 350 and no bar but there is a lot of them out there. I would want to run it in some wood for 15-20 mins. at that price.

Probably not a lot of logging done in Kansas, I think the last tree disappeared from the Kansas prairie in 1923. So it couldn't have been used too much unless it's an import. ;-)
I grew up in the Texas Panhandle. Same thing. That's why I love my woods so much now. (and hills! Living on a flat caprock makes you appreciate any change in elevation!)

Status
Not open for further replies.