Stihl "18, near new, why the bar oil leakage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spletz

Apr 30, 2014
West Michigan
It's late tonight and I can't recall the model. But it's only a year and a half old. Why, with otherwise good care, after bucking only a few decent sized Ashes is it leaking GOBS of chain oil when I leave it on my tool bench? It still runs fine, but why the leakage? Is this common? Easy fix?

I'm curious, as when I run it, I goes great - like a hot knife thru butter, even with its bar oil leaking at rest.

Please help.

It's late tonight and I can't recall the model. But it's only a year and a half old. Why, with otherwise good care, after bucking only a few decent sized Ashes is it leaking GOBS of chain oil when I leave it on my tool bench? It still runs fine, but why the leakage? Is this common? Easy fix?

I'm curious, as when I run it, I goes great - like a hot knife thru butter, even with its bar oil leaking at rest.

Please help.

Easiest fix is to empty the oil tank after use. This is very common problem. You can replace parts and problem there a week later.

Check out plenty of answers at forestry forum.com.

Reactions: duramaxman05
My MS250 spews oil out too. Pretty much since new. Tried a new oil cap, still does it. Wound up buying a $50 plastic case to keep the oil off the floor.

Remember, Stihl is the choice of professionals.

None of my saws leak for very long before I find out why and fix them. Usually an O-ring or something silly. My MS440 has never leaked a drop in the 11 years I have owned it. Make sure the holes in the bar are clear so the oil goes to the bar and not down the side and also clean the groove. What saw is it?

Reactions: salecker
My stihl 441 does the same thing. I have had it around 8years and it has done it 7 of the 8 years. I just empty the tank out before i store it

Thanks all. Everyone has seemed to confirm it is common and to be accepted. Next time I will empty it prior to storage.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Status
Not open for further replies.