Stihl Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adubree86

May 10, 2016
Overland Park, KS
Looking at picking up a new saw and came across a Stihl 261 C Pro for $450.00. Only has 5 hrs on it. Looks brand new. Is this a good deal.

00X0X_7x54yJcAJ9J_1200x900.jpg

Yes it is! They are a excellent saw IMO...My bud runs one and I run 2 260 Pros...love them!

If the saw runs as good as it looks $450 is a good price. The 261 might be my favorite saw, perfect for most firewood cutting situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Man I missed the deal. Guy beat me to it before I could get off work. I did find a guy selling a 440 magnum with a brand new 20” Stihl bar and RS chain for $375.

Man I missed the deal. Guy beat me to it before I could get off work. I did find a guy selling a 440 magnum with a brand new 20” Stihl bar and RS chain for $375.
Is it a true 440? and not a 441? If it is the 441 run as fast as you can! They had a lot of trouble with them and stopped production...they were to be reintroduced this year I think but I haven't heard any thing yet...The 440 is a very solid saw. If that 440 is in good shape and the compression is good snag it!

Is it a true 440? and not a 441? If it is the 441 run as fast as you can! They had a lot of trouble with them and stopped production...they were to be reintroduced this year I think but I haven't heard any thing yet...The 440 is a very solid saw. If that 440 is in good shape and the compression is good snag it!

It is a true 440. Going to look at it tomorrow.

If the comp is good snag it! looks to be in decent shape...I prefer the older saws myself....you can adjust the carb and oiler and they breath easier.

I have a 044 and love it! Serious firewood saw!

It doesn't look like that saw has been hurt any and for the money even if you had to rebuild it at some point in time it is a better saw than anything else Stihl makes in that class currently.

At 150 it has a lot of life yet....120 is getting worn and 100 is really worn. I would buy it and if you don't want to I would like his info.I am serious about that...

Pull the muffler and look at the piston before you buy.It has good compression but until you see the piston you don't know what the story is.Check the flywheel and clutch for play in the bearings.
I have 3 440/044's one had play in the crank,the retainer for the bearing balls had failed and the balls were piling up.It needed new bearings.It was running ok but had a vac leak which would make it race.Caught it before the piston was damaged.

You will like that saw!

Looks great have you ran it yet?

A lot of the young and strong guys will tell you that's the best size firewood saw on the planet. I can't argue with that. Hope it's a good one for you.

Actually the best and strongest saw Stihl has made in that class is the MS460. Those will run circles around the 440's. For the money you did well though.

Craig

Just make sure you get full chisel chains, none of the anti-kick back junk. Big difference between the two.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
wouldn't the anit kick ones hold the edge longer if you were cutting a lot of stuff that's froze or on the ground?

wouldn't the anit kick ones hold the edge longer if you were cutting a lot of stuff that's froze or on the ground?
Reduced kickback chains are available in semi-chisel & full chisel. And no they'll dull just as easily.

so whats the difference in semi and full?i thought the only diff in chains was the anti ones have the shark fins that protect the teeth

Reactions: JimBear
so whats the difference in semi and full?i thought the only diff in chains was the anti ones have the shark fins that protect the teeth

Here's a decent graphic.

chain_types.gif

The fin on a reduced kickback chain is only to help keep the cutter from grabbing while it goes around the end of the bar nose. They take up room in the kerf not allowing as many chips thus making the chain cut slower.