Stihl MS-250 Bar Nose Sprocket Keeps Jamming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Does anyone have a fix for this? I've cleaned it and lubricated it multiple times, but it happens almost every time I'm running this saw and it's driving me nuts. I'll be cutting normally, then the saw just binds up. Sometimes I shut it off, and with the chain brake off, drag the teeth over a log to get the chain moving, then it'll be loosened to the point that the power of the saw can free it up. More often than that though it jams up and I have to take the bar off, remove the chain, put the bar in a vise, and take a screw driver to get the nose sproket moving again. Then I lubricate it.

Stihl does't appear to offer a bar that's any different than the one I already have. Does Oregon make a bar for this saw that isn't awful?

Thanks,

is the bar pinched, putting pressure on the sprocket?

It doesn’t look to be. The sprocket when clean rotates freely

I was wondering if this is a common issue with this bar or something

Sounds like a bad sprocket bearing to me. I had one that would rotate freely but under load would bind up. New bar fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Oregon makes bars for every saw imaginable. Get a good one, not the cheapest one. Keep the one you have as a back up in a bad pinch situation.

Sounds like a bad sprocket bearing to me. I had one that would rotate freely but under load would bind up. New bar fixed the problem.
Okay thanks for the info I’ll do that

Oregon makes bars for every saw imaginable. Get a good one, not the cheapest one. Keep the one you have as a back up in a bad pinch situation.
Oh yeah they do. I run Oregon chain on all my saws, full chisel on the J-Red makes it such a beast. And that's what I want, a good bar, wasn't sure if anyone on here would see the issue and have had the same one with this saw and chime in with what bar they've had luck with. Just ordered an Oregon bar for it, hopefully that will do the trick. https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/controlcut™-guide-bar,-18"/p/183pxlba074

Sounds like you have a solution, but I had a similar issue with the sprocket nose on my Stihl MS180. I like not having to grease it like my Husqvarna bar or my old Homelite with an Oregon bar - but I wonder if the greasing helps to clean it?

I don't think it was pinched - and it's getting enough bar oil - chain is not getting hot or stretching. I just flipped the bar over, so the sprocket is spinning the other direction - seems to have solved it!

Look into a Sugi Hara bar. The nose sprocket can be greased and they are very durable.

1588177288138.png

Sounds like you have a solution, but I had a similar issue with the sprocket nose on my Stihl MS180. I like not having to grease it like my Husqvarna bar or my old Homelite with an Oregon bar - but I wonder if the greasing helps to clean it?

I don't think it was pinched - and it's getting enough bar oil - chain is not getting hot or stretching. I just flipped the bar over, so the sprocket is spinning the other direction - seems to have solved it!
Nice, I appreciate the info. I’ll try that too and see if it helps

I had the same problem with the original bar on my 372xp, corrected the problem with a hard nose bar from Oregon problem solved.

I had the same problem with the original bar on my 372xp, corrected the problem with a hard nose bar from Oregon problem solved.
Good to know thank you. Never used a hard nose bar

to grease or not to grease,that is a question...
i never do and never had a problem yet,if your oiler is oiling properly there should never be a need to grease the tip.If you are going to a long bar on a small saw without an adjustable oiler,then maybe...

Reactions: sloeffle
Tsumara also makes an excellent bar as well. A little cheaper than sugihara.

Attachments

• 20191214_140803.jpg
    20191214_140803.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 156
I have used a Tsumura ultra light bar and had good experiences and would suggest it if you are in the market.