stihl ms250 used 150 bucks. buy it or pass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
The saw gets good ratings by most people. Should do me pretty well for cutting firewood. HEavily used in good servicable conditions. $150. History unknow. starts and runs well. what would you do?

I think used saws can be good investments, especially for people who don't plan to put many hours on them. As long as it has an inertial chain brake, I'd say go for it. Is it being sold by a dealer or a private individual?

pawn shop. History is absolutely unkown. It starts and runs well. looks to have had heavy use. Looks about what you'd expect for a used saw. I have a 14 inch poulan so this would be a step up. amount of total cutting....4-6 cords of wood a year (I burn about 3-4 and give some away). Sometimes I go help out friends who have stuff that needs cutting.

DavidV said:
pawn shop. History is absolutely unkown. It starts and runs well. looks to have had heavy use.

With an "unknown history" and apparent "heavy use" I'd be inclined to pass for that price. An extra $95 can get you a brand new Husqvarna 345 with a new bar, a pair of new chains, 2 gallons of oil mix, and a 2 year warranty delvered to your door. That makes an equivalent unknown history used saw with worn bar and chain not worth $150 to me.

For 345 pricing see: http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm

IMHO, you ought to see if you can bargain them down or buy elsewhere.

I let it go. the history unkown was a big part of it. Another was that although the saw looked pretty good, the "mufler" was rusty. That struck me as odd. like it had been left outside more than once. I have never left my saw outside overnight....and it's just a POS 14 inch poulan.

I have a four year old 025, same as the MS 250.

I cut about 4-5 cords a year and my saw does not look heavily used.

If its at a pawn shop, I would question whether the prior owner used premium fuel and Stihl two stoke oil.

I agree with KarlP, its a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.