Stihl MS290, 310, or 390

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like it now you will love it better after you have run a few tanks through it and it loosens up.
leaddog

Ten tanks is a lot easier to measure than hours, thanks for the tip on that. I already got it dirty so no clean new saw pics, it went straight from the truck to the backyard to test it out on a couple logs I had back there.

I was flippin through my book last night, and noticed the part about summer/winter operation. My dealer didn't mention anything about it and my saw is set for summer right now. Do people change theirs over?

Oh, and I noticed from some other posts that folks had gotten a screwdriver with their saw for adjusting the carb? All I got was the saw, the scrench, the extra chain and the manual. Well that and the other stuff I bought. Did most people get a screwdriver too? Not a big deal, I have plenty of lil ones layin around, just curious.

One thing I noticed so far is that it doesn't seem to fling a lot of oil, I think i'm gonna open up the adjusting screw all the way and see how that does.

Oil does not fly off in large amounts on these saws. I have mine opened all the way up....One tank of oil to one tank of fuel..

All I got with my saw was a scrench and a bar chain cover...

I do change it from summer to winter. All I do is flip the insert around tho.....

It doesn't seem like enough oil flings out but it does. I opened it all up too. I end up going through a tank of oil and gas in the same amount of time.

I flip the baffle over for winter. It seems to start easier.

Matt

Wow that was quick, thanks for the replies guys, I'll go flip that sucker around in the morning. Plus that gives me yet another excuse to play around with it.

Whet you mean it's not by your side as you type?????

Maybe your just not as devoted as the rest of us or maybe I'm just crazy like my wife says.....

southbound said:
Whet you mean it's not by your side as you type?????

Maybe your just not as devoted as the rest of us or maybe I'm just crazy like my wife says.....
no, i'm with you. I have a saw snuggie on mine right now to keep it cozy.

They were out of saw snuggies when I got mine hehe. I did decide to keep it in the garage instead of out in the shed with all the other stuff, the other engines were very jealous. I just couldn't bear to put it out there.

I keep mine in the somewhat conditioned basement vs the unheated shed or garage. The saw is a b*stard to start when it's 10 degrees. However when the saw is at 50 and carried out into 10 it starts easier. The basement is damper than the other two storage places but with the bar and 2 cycle oil on it I have not seen any rust.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.