Still 660 Clone $270.00

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzberry

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2014
Next to Yosemite
Granddaughters boyfriend showed me his new clone 660. Bought all parts off the net and put it together for less than $270. Couldn't tell the difference except for the stickers were different. Started first pull and idled perfect. Didn't cut anything but it felt powerful and grabbed revs just like the Stihl 660. Gonna screw up the used saw market I bet.

I didn't ask him the brand of it and never took a pic. Looks exactly like a new stihl 660 except the sticker was different. I will ask him when I see him again. He told me it all came from the same seller as a package. He is a tree cutter/climber so I assume he's gonna use it and I will get to see how it works and holds up. He has an 066 to compare it to. It was just put together and never cut any wood yet when he showed it to me. Should have a better report in a few days

Sounds like Huztl.net. They sell FarmerTec. Have many "saws in a box".

It will only screw up the used saw market if you don't know what to look for.Byer beware is the best advice.
I know i would be pissed if i bought a chink 660 and it was passed of as the real macoy.
Of course there are those that will be peddling these saws as the real thing and be pocketing $$$$.
I doubt that there will be anything left of these after 20 yrs of hard use,but a Stihl will be still working.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
I bought a FarmerTec piston & nikasil cylinder kit off ebay for an 026. 31.00 with free shipping lol. Works great. Put Caber rings in it.

Just looked at the site. Wow. Complete 660 for 186.00 and 360 for 136.00. If they come up with an 880 or 090 Im in.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I doubt that there will be anything left of these after 20 yrs of hard use,but a Stihl will be still working.
Despite what some may think about themselves, there aren't many firewood cutters who use a saw all that hard. I'll gladly pay the money for Stihl, since my time and frustration is worth more money than the amount saved on a clone saw, but it may hit the sweet spot for many firewood cutters only occasionally needing a saw this big.

Agreed Ash. I need a big cheap saw for my mill. I currently have a 42" bar on my 064 and its working way too hard. If the clones hold up for a year it would be worth it to save a good saw.

I have some beautiful parcels of land in Florida to sell to anyone who thinks the crank forging, cylinder casting and plating, main bearings, etc. of a clone are up to the same high quality as the original.

The whole reason I love my Stihls are because of their superior engineering, design and manufacture. I have the utmost respect for the people who created such durable, trouble-free tools and could never send my money to those who copy it (and not very well at that). It's theft of others intellectual property, testing and design. I'm an honest person who doesn't support scams, bootlegging and theft and who wants his money to flow to people who are deserving of it.

Have you ever had something stolen from you? How did it make you feel about the people who stole it?

I used to be able to afford an opinion such as yours but retirement changes the financial attitude somewhat. I really hate thieves. On the other hand the ones that sell you 20 year old technology for ten times the price don't set right either.

I used to be able to afford an opinion such as yours but retirement changes the financial attitude somewhat. I really hate thieves. On the other hand the ones that sell you 20 year old technology for ten times the price don't set right either.
But if they developed designed and tested the tech it is theirs to sell for what the market can handle. That does not make it ok for someone to steal their stuff.

Reactions: Fuut Master
Who invented the car, stove,carpet,computer,doorknob,etc

Who invented the car, stove,carpet,computer,doorknob,etc
No one is saying they cant sell a chainsaw of their own. The problem comes when they make cheap knock off copies of someone elses saw.

Reactions: Ashful
Would that include car parts, computer parts, eyeglasses, chainsaw parts, coffee cups or is just Stihl parts bugging you? Nobody would be thinking they would be getting a Stihl quality saw. Its a cheap china version no where near a real Stihl.

Would that include car parts, computer parts, eyeglasses, chainsaw parts, coffee cups or is just Stihl parts bugging you? Nobody would be thinking they would be getting a Stihl quality saw. Its a cheap china version no where near a real Stihl.
Parts are one thing but when they sell a complete saw that is a copy of someone elses product i have a problem with that. Now because they sell it as parts it is legal but that doesnt make it ok in my eyes.

And no i dont care if it is a stihl saw or a knock off purse it is wrong. I have a design degree and worked as an industrial designer for a few years. I hold 2 patents and have intelectual property over several products all of which i collect on. And i would be pretty pissed if someone stole that money from me.

Ok I get it. Its ok to steal a few but not all. lol

Where did i say that?

Individual components are very different from a complete product from a legal standpoint. That is why they only sell it as parts.

How would you feel if you spent all of the time and money to bring a product to market only to have someone copy it and sell a cheap copy?

You said
"Parts are one thing but when they sell a complete saw that is a copy of someone elses product i have a problem with that."
Like I said before nobody thinks they are selling a Stihl quality saw. It is what it is a cheap copy.

These kits will affect Stihl very little IMO. Heck, their parts sales for the 066/660 series saws probably has gone up due to guys buying a few select OEM parts to replace the known weak links in these kits.
As far as new saw sales go, the guy that will drop $1200 on a new saw, will continue to do so.
The guys buying these AM saws aren't that guy.
Chinees AM parts have saved many Stihls from hitting the scrap pile.
Shame on anyone that sells one of these AM saws as the genuine article!

You said
"Parts are one thing but when they sell a complete saw that is a copy of someone elses product i have a problem with that."
Like I said before nobody thinks they are selling a Stihl quality saw. It is what it is a cheap copy.
Yes but it is clearly a copy of a stihl saw. You said yourself you couldt tell the difference other that the stickers. And to be clear selling cheap copies is illegal. The only reason it is legal at all is that it is a kit of parts not a saw.

I used to be able to afford an opinion such as yours but retirement changes the financial attitude somewhat.

I knew a guy who never tipped after being served a restaurant meal. I explained to him that the waitresses rely on tips to pay rent, buy food, feed their child, etc. He said he couldn't afford to tip. I told him if I couldn't afford to tip, I couldn't afford to eat out and be served by a waiter/waitress.

I would come out of retirement or do without another saw before I would send my money to thieves. I want to support the people who actually created these fine machines, not the leeches trying to profit off other's hard work.

On the other hand the ones that sell you 20 year old technology for ten times the price don't set right either.

20 year old technology? I just bought a new saw to supplement my 20 year old Stihl 026 (which still starts/runs perfectly). I didn't think it would be possible for the new saw to be any better but it is! And the price is a bargain compared to cheap throw away saws. Every time I buy a Stihl part (which is almost never) I feel like I'm getting a good value.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.