Stone Veneer Surround on Propane Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

speedy

Jun 29, 2019
Maryland
I have a propane fireplace, Heatilator model GNDC36L. I removed a wood and marble surround/mantle and want to put a stacked stone veneer around the fireplace and up the wall, to include a mantle board and, above that, a TV mounted on a Mantle Mount brand mount. And I have some questions....

This fireplace was installed by the home builder in about 2003. The marble slabs I removed overlapped the metal surround of the fireplace, but I am reluctant to do that with the stone veneer which will be mortared onto lath because if the fireplace "goes bad", wears out, needs replaced, there is no way to get it out without removing stone. So how is this customarily done so that it looks good but you can remove the unit if need be without destroying your stone?

Is the mantle board typically mounted first and the stacked stone veneer fit around it?

How long do these gas fireplaces typically work/last?

I am new to gas fireplaces and all of this so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• FP1.JPG
    FP1.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 145
Is your fireplace between rooms, built IN to the house or built OUT of the house?
Can't tell from the pic. If it's mounted OUT of the house, then the removal would be from the outside,
leaving the surround untouched. My gas fireplace was manufactured in 2004 & still runs strong.
Not a lot can go wrong, although if the logs deteriorate, you probably won't be able to replace them.

It is recessed into a "bump out" on an outside wall, covered by exterior vinyl siding.

So, to remove it we'd have to remove the siding and sheathing?

Wow. Learn something new every day. Hope it lasts!

Does anyone know, is the mantle shelf typically mounted first and the stacked stone veneer fit around it?

Any advice on running power and cable up to the TV mount?