Storage opportunity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagz

Jan 14, 2008
Rush City,Minnesota
I work for an electric utility here that just had a transformer failure I was involved with . It is(was) a high voltage unit that has 2 expansion tanks that are going for scrap . They are 5/16 inch thick mild steel and measure 16' long 8'wide and 3'deep with a 2' manhole on each end and one on top in the middle of the tank .The top is the 16x8 section. Could these possibly be used for pressurized storage if insulated properly? I am a newb so I have no idea . Thanks .

about 4500lbs, 2800gal. The only problem is it is shallow so you wouldn't get good stratifcation and your heat exchangers would have to be long and wide but it is doable I would think. About $600 at todays scrap price. If you use two of them you could put one on top of the other and then connect them at top and bottem then you would have good stratifcation and could put your ex in top and bottem and have a really big tank. 5600gal Non pressureized for sure or you would make a round tank out of a rectangular one with alot of noise and grief.
leaddog

I'll throw these ones I saw in the pile. Perhaps this can become a sticky within the Boiler Room where good tank or other storage leads can be posted.

VT Craigslist 36" diameter galvanized water tank $1 not sure of the size but guessing between 300-400 gallons

VT Craigslist 915 gallon dairy tank, $2,650 - It mentions heat recovery so I'm thinking there might be some type of usable internal HX, also probably stainless, spendy

VT Craigslist 1,500 gallon sap tank galvanized $600 or bro - older ad

Maine Craigslist 800 gallon tank, $550 looks nice for serious stratification

Western Mass Craigslist 1,000 gallon underground oil tank $300 located in Amsterdam, NY. I'm not sure of the potential difficulties which might be associated with using old fuel tanks but there were many other skid tanks I saw which were rather cheap. It seems like a good amount of storage for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.