storing equipment outdoors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twd000

Feeling the Heat
Aug 28, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
I have now acquired enough tools to exceed the storage capacity of my shed. Which means I need to leave my hydraulic splitter and DR PowerWagon in outside storage for the foreseeable future.

I know I need to keep the rain and snow off them, but concerned that if I button them up too tight (form-fitted tarp covers) it will make it inviting for mice to build nests in the protected spaces. Should I just cover them with a makeshift lean-to roof? Or will the ambient humidity allow rust to accumulate?

Also is there some type of "wheel boot" device that can lock the wheel to prevent potential theft?

My log dog stays outside in the weather 100% of the time. So does my 4 wheeler. They live under a tarp (the 4 wheeler tarp is more like a fitted sheet style tarp) and they're just fine every season when I crank them up.
Spray the metal down with WD 40 before tarping and you'll be fine on rust. Also, I bought this wheel lock for my boat and it worked great combined with a trailer lock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBL1E8I/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Trailer lock
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HATY36/?tag=hearthamazon-20

As a disclaimer, all Amazon links posted to The Hearth contain Hearth referral links to support the site. Clicking them adds a cookie to your computer that lets Amazon pay TheHearth for the business.

If you're opposed to cookies, you can just search Amazon for the product number in the link, i.e. B00CBL1E8I

I'd think a roof would be better than tarping since it allows air to circulate and keep things dry. WD40 is also a good call to prevent surface rust.

Reactions: salecker
My splitter lives outside all year long. In the summer she sleeps under a green tarp off the side of the shed, weighted down at 4 corners with rocks and a coat of silicone to prevent surface rust. She seems happy, still starts on the 3rd pull every time every season.

If you tarp them, you want the tarp to keep rain off them while allowing air to circulate. Buttoning them to tight is actually much worse then leaving them in the open. Condensation under the tarp could be 100 times worse then rain on them since the rain will dry relatively quickly but condensation under the tarp will be 24X7.

Good point cjgoode, I do leave plenty of room for air to circulate, just enough weight at the corners to keep wind from pulling the tarp off.

And to the OP, it sure is funny how quickly a shed can fill up isn't it? No matter what size you build/purchase, about a year later you always say "I should have gone bigger" lol

Reactions: VirginiaIron