Storm collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sep 20, 2021
Cedar Rapids Iowa
I am installing a wood burning stove. I had on old zero clearance fireplace, which I have ripped out. On the roof, the old chimney and roof flashing (from the zero clearance fireplace) is much too wide for the 8" od class A pipe. The only storm collar I can find is too small to cover that chimney. I hate to mess with my roof by putting in new flashing. I am thinking I can make my own storm collar, but am wondering if this is ok. Or, does someone sell storm collar that is wider than 5 1/2 inches... it needs to be more like 8" to reach the outside of the old chimney

I am installing a wood burning stove. I had on old zero clearance fireplace, which I have ripped out. On the roof, the old chimney and roof flashing (from the zero clearance fireplace) is much too wide for the 8" od class A pipe. The only storm collar I can find is too small to cover that chimney. I hate to mess with my roof by putting in new flashing. I am thinking I can make my own storm collar, but am wondering if this is ok. Or, does someone sell storm collar that is wider than 5 1/2 inches... it needs to be more like 8" to reach the outside of the old chimney
Put the proper flashing in for your chimney

Yes patch the roof and do it properly