Stove Chow pellets ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

salvatore1

Sep 22, 2014
upstate ny
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on with Stove Chow ? I've asked three different Home Depot's and nobody can tell me when or if they're getting them in. I tried going on stove chow's website but there isn't a website anymore and a few weeks ago there was. I know that they're out of PA. They are the only wood pellets that burn the hottest in my stove, green supreme doesn't even come close. Did stove chow go of business ? If anyone has any information please get back to me. Thanks and have a great day !

Stove chow was rebagged energex sold only through HD so no they didn't go out of business, My guess would be that HD got a better deal from lignetics to buy green supreme.

Energex ? I never heard of them before, have to look into them and see if they re bagged them under a different name again. But whatever the case maybe I need to find out where they sell them now, or find a brand that burns as hot.

Thank you for the info and for the reply !

Energex Canada bought the US plant
I have used their blended pellet but prefer the Cubix hardwood, cleaner and more heat

Energex Canada bought the US plant
I have used their blended pellet but prefer the Cubix hardwood, cleaner and more heat
Great thank you ! I will contact them today and I'll let you know how I make out.

I ended up buying a ton of green supremes. A little heavy on the fines if you ask me.

I have used the stove chow and green supremes previously, definately a lot of fines. Last year I used stars and stripes hardwood and loved them but they are not available this year. Just had my new 4" liner installed and the new trekker is coming next wed. just need to decide on which pellets to get this year. I can get ambiance for 340 ton delivered or the teame greens for 330 ton delivered. the green supremes and home depots pellets are a bit cheaper, then its way up from there on cost......... Either i am shopping at the wrong places or pricing went up pretty good....

I have used the stove chow and green supremes previously, definately a lot of fines. Last year I used stars and stripes hardwood and loved them but they are not available this year. Just had my new 4" liner installed and the new trekker is coming next wed. just need to decide on which pellets to get this year. I can get ambiance for 340 ton delivered or the teame greens for 330 ton delivered. the green supremes and home depots pellets are a bit cheaper, then its way up from there on cost......... Either i am shopping at the wrong places or pricing went up pretty good....
Yup the prices definitely went up but that's basically with everything, it's the new normal. I've tried contacting Energex left a message, but no reply. BTW, all those brands of pellets that you mentioned I've never heard of, it would be nice if I could try them out but I don't think their available in my area at all.

Around me, the local HD stores don't yet have too many bags of pellets in stock. I noticed it last year and the year before. It was around late October, early November when the pallets of pellets started arriving.

I haven't seen what they are charging for a ton at the HD, but by the bag doesn't seem to be that much higher than last year, like 20 cents more.

And yes, Stove Chows burn hot on my stove too.

Actually, home Depot's by me had pallets of green supreme in for almost a month already, and the price per pallet is $269 which is about the same as last year. Which is surprising ( let me shut my mouth ) but I just wish they were stove Chow. BTW, can't believe the long island HD's get them in that late, but it does get colder in my area then yours.

Reactions: vinny11950
Actually, home Depot's by me had pallets of green supreme in for almost a month already, and the price per pallet is $269 which is about the same as last year. Which is surprising ( let me shut my mouth ) but I just wish they were stove Chow. BTW, can't believe the long island HD's get them in that late, but it does get colder in my area then yours.

The garden center is still mostly mums and other plants, Halloween decorations, and yes, fake Christmas trees already. But we are still getting mid 60s to low 70s temps in the day, so no need to burn yet.

I saw stacks of Green Supreme at our HD a week or two ago when I was in there. Usually I would see Stove Chow in the entryway but didn’t see those yet.

Last year, HD sold Green Supreme and Stove Chow for the same price. Green Supreme produce plenty of ash, fines, and a tar like substance baked onto the walls of my P43, and not much heat. Stove Chow burned hot and clean. Stove Chow went out of business charging the same as Green Supreme and was acquired by Energex, that's no surprise,

Last year, HD sold Green Supreme and Stove Chow for the same price. Green Supreme produce plenty of ash, fines, and a tar like substance baked onto the walls of my P43, and not much heat. Stove Chow burned hot and clean. Stove Chow went out of business charging the same as Green Supreme and was acquired by Energex, that's no surprise,
Sounds like Green Supreme lives up to the name. Like burning green firewood.

• Haha
I bought 6 tons of stove chow last year for 219 a ton delivered but as you said nothing but green supreme… the 6 ton deal this year is 239 a ton from the Depot, I decided to purchase from my local guy 4 tons of wood and sons, I also have about 2 tons of stove chow left. I usually shop by price to some extent as my Harman burns anything lol. Although softwood is nice for being able to go quite a while between cleanings.

With gas and propane prices up, I wonder if this will lead to a rise in pellet stove purchases and use. and how will that affect the pellet supply there is.

Great thank you ! I will contact them today and I'll let you know how I make out.
How’d you make out? I’m in the same boat. Lowe’s Green Team only comes close to heat output and are expensive.

How’d you make out? I’m in the same boat. Lowe’s Green Team only comes close to heat output and are expensive.
Expense is relative. Find a good quality pellet and spend mid to upper $300's. Find a good Douglas Fir and spend $429. I spend $429 and don't worry about low heat output or even much ash. Green Supremes etc are the crapiest of the crappy!

Reactions: Mt Bob
No Stove Chow's yet at HD. So far I have been burning Green Supremes and even by their low standards they are not that good this year. They have lots of ash and very low heat. At the lowest setting, the air coming out of the exchange tubes doesn't feel that hot. So I went ahead and ordered 3 tons of Energex instead from a local supplier at $350 a ton.

The beauty of the Stove Chow pellets in prior years was the heat output they produced for being a cheap pellet. Sure, they were dirty, but my stove can handle it.

No Stove Chow's yet at HD. So far I have been burning Green Supremes and even by their low standards they are not that good this year. They have lots of ash and very low heat. At the lowest setting, the air coming out of the exchange tubes doesn't feel that hot. So I went ahead and ordered 3 tons of Energex instead from a local supplier at $350 a ton.

The beauty of the Stove Chow pellets in prior years was the heat output they produced for being a cheap pellet. Sure, they were dirty, but my stove can handle it.
I sent Stove Chow an email via their web site about 2 months ago asking them about Home Depot availability. No response. I have given up. I purchased La Cretes this year (and a little Greene Supremes just to try them - they're a bit heavy on the fines).

November was pretty mild, so burning the bad pellets hasn't been an issue.

Hi, very sorry for my late reply, I'm just seeing this post now. The email notification went to my junk mail folder for some reason...
Actually, I made out good, I finally reached a representative at Energex a couple of weeks ago, and they said Stove Chow is done, green supreme replaced them and they are exactly the same pellets, green supreme also has replaced Warm Front pellets also which I use to use. There is the factory located in Deposit NY, and one in PA, and as long as they are coming from these northeast plants, they are the same. You always want to buy the ones that say Allegheny Mountain Hardwood, and never the Northeastern Blend (they burn very low heat) As of now my stove is burning very hot, and giving me a lot of heat. I've attached a couple of pics for you to see. I hope this helps you, I don't think you should have a problem anymore. Let me know how you make out.

IMG_20211102_145412537.jpg IMG_20211102_145404662.jpg

Thanks Salvatore. This is great info. I just bought a few bags of the Allegheny bags last weekend. But seriously, my local HD has a hard enough time delivering the right brand, much less a subset of that brand.