Stove Chow, Prestologs, Hamers Hot Ones observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just filled hopper with Fireside Ultras. They look good, I dont see any super long pellets so they should burn just fine.

I dont concern myself with ash content usually. I scrap burn pot everytime I add pellets and never had an issue.

Also my dog likes eating pellets. Strange animal, I don't like that he eats them but if one falls he is on it like it is a piece of beef.

Well so far for me (1st year) I'm loving both sommersets and press to logs. Get a bit more ash from the Presto's. but they last a bit longer (size thing) I'm sure. It's a dark ash but not so much that it's a problem. I wasn't impressed with American wood fiber. It wAsnt hot, and just didn't impress me. Both the Presto's and sommers seem to have alot of heat. I currently have a ton of each.

Just filled hopper with Fireside Ultras. They look good, I dont see any super long pellets so they should burn just fine.

I dont concern myself with ash content usually. I scrap burn pot everytime I add pellets and never had an issue.

Also my dog likes eating pellets. Strange animal, I don't like that he eats them but if one falls he is on it like it is a piece of beef.
Suppose that's ok till he get a splinter in his poop pipe lol

Burned turmans, barefoots and hamers this year. Turmans were the best followed by barefoots. The hamers gunk up my burn pot faster than either of the others and I need to scrape it. But other than that they all burn great and put off lots of heat. Turmans are by far my favorite though.

ok, as for smaller pellet goes, the smaller the pellet the more pellets will fall with each turn of the auger
the more pellets that fall into the pot, the highter the flame/more heat
now that being said, if more pellets are burned each time the auger turns, the faster the supply will be depleted
so if you get that 12hours out of a bag of stove chow, you will only get 8-10hrs out of the hammers
I bought hammers my second year of burning, it was hot in my house but I had to feed the stove more often
I don't know what stove you have, but it must have some kind of burn rate control. Usually the observation that something burns hotter comes from people whose stove struggles to keep up with the demand for heat and they are finally warm.
So far I have burned Infernos (which seem to be a waste of scrap wood), Lignetics, Greene Team, and LG's.
The lignetics were very good, but the fines were all over the house. Burned hot and clean, but the fines....
Greene Team's were very good if a bit ashy. Uniformly small pellets, burned hot, but the heat exchanger on the MVAE needed more cleaning.
The LG's are excellent and worth the extra cost. Extremely low fines content and what there is seems to be larger particles that don't get airborne as easily. They burn very hot, which I believe is a combination of small pellets and the nature of softwoods with their higher resin content. The ash residue in the pan is about normal, slightly crusty, but the heat exchanger is so clean that, after a month of not doing any deep cleanings, there was still very little to clean.

I've burned quite a few bags of Pres-To-Logs before I got my 3 tons of Instant Heat pellets and I must say that I was really happy with them. The heat output was good and ash was minimal. I also burned some Barefoot and Allegheny wood pellets and they all seemed to burn about the same.

Im down to my last 30 bags of Energex hards so went out n bought 15 o'malleys and 15 stove chows. Never burned either. I also have 2 bags of Chet Rivers, 2 bags of fireside ultras to try and lastly 18 bags of North Americans. I'm on my last hoarding hoorah before supposedly every BB stops selling pellets.

Im down to my last 30 bags of Energex hards so went out n bought 15 o'malleys and 15 stove chows. Never burned either. I also have 2 bags of Chet Rivers, 2 bags of fireside ultras to try and lastly 18 bags of North Americans. I'm on my last hoarding hoorah before supposedly every BB stops selling pellets.
have burned all 3 in the past 2 seasons...
all give good heat.
all give lot of ash....
stove chows the most...
good pellets either way..
if u ever see these below Bag_PremiumHardwood.png from Energex, Grab em...
0.5 ash..

Reactions: RyansCAB50
Status
Not open for further replies.