Stove Efficiencies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedinski

Oct 16, 2013
Northwest Pennsylvania
My stove is supposedly 85% efficient. Not bad, right?
I got to thinking... what are the efficiencies at low and medium burn rates? I have a CAB-50 and I just have low-medium-high control.

The convection fan seems to take forever to come on. Fuel can be burning in the pot for as long as 10 minutes before the fan is engaged. That's a lot of wasted heat!

Has anyone heard specifications on high vs. low burn, and efficiency?

I think it's to avoid blowing cold air around in a cold room. Think of it as working itself out since it runs for 10 mins after the fire goes out, blowing off the remaining heat :) sorry i can't answer your question.

Also you wouldn't want any start up smoke to blow into your room. It gives that a chance to be sucked out the vent.

The fire warms up a heat sink. Nothing more.

When that heat sink is hot, the room blower passes air over it to warm it.

If it's not HOT, the air doesn't get warm.

It would be my guess that the stoves peak efficiency is reached when it is at least half it's rated output. I know my Harman is not efficient when it's run very low and the evidence is in the color of the ash. When I have it near half way on a really bitter cold night the ash turns a really light gray almost white with no buildup in the front of the pot compared to dark and piling up when it's just above an idle.

This is why it is important to size the stove for the house. A powerful stove always running on low to medium isn't utilizing its full efficiency.

Reactions: briansol
No, they are right. on low and high, the stove is not super efficient. it's most efficient on medium. Size it for that metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.