Stove for a new construction cabin - advice please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi friends. Thanks again for all of your advice.

It is time to order the stove. We are working with a local dealer. Great guy.

He suggests either the Jotul F45 or the Hearthstone GM 60. He doesn't carry PE.

He nudged me towards the Hearthstone. Lots to like. Clean lines that go better with our space. It looks a lot better than the F45, IMHO. Logs lay in sideways which my wife would like to see. The dealer's main point was that it's cast iron, which throws a nicer heat and doesn't get as hot to the touch.

But I have spent some time and this web site sure seems to have a consensus that the GM 60 is ... challenging. Problems with smoke drafting in at reload, etc etc etc.

Go with the Jotul?

Thanks again guys.

Hi friends. Thanks again for all of your advice.

It is time to order the stove. We are working with a local dealer. Great guy.

He suggests either the Jotul F45 or the Hearthstone GM 60. He doesn't carry PE.

He nudged me towards the Hearthstone. Lots to like. Clean lines that go better with our space. It looks a lot better than the F45, IMHO. Logs lay in sideways which my wife would like to see. The dealer's main point was that it's cast iron, which throws a nicer heat and doesn't get as hot to the touch.

But I have spent some time and this web site sure seems to have a consensus that the GM 60 is ... challenging. Problems with smoke drafting in at reload, etc etc etc.

Go with the Jotul?

Thanks again guys.
Jotul would be my choice. But read the manual on how to clean it out if it’s top vented without a slip joint in the pipe!!

Love my F45! Easy to operate, clean glass, long burns and a nice gentle even heat which I would say is similar to the soapstone stoves.

Not as hot to the touch? What does that matter? Why would you touch it? It's still going to be hot enough to burn you. Get the stove YOU want. Don't let the dealer influence you. He is going to sell you the best stove for him to sell you, not the best stove for you to buy.

The salesperson is not providing real-world experience. The Jotul is a simpler stove that can load N/S. That allows a fully loaded firebox vs a partially loaded E/W firebox. One can't load fully E/W due to the risk of the top logs rolling up against the glass. The fire view is still going to be great. Also, the F45 will stay cooler on the sides than the Green Mountain due to its cast iron jacket. The F45 is also going to be lower maintenance and more forgiving without a cat to watch after.