Stove / Furnace Modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Williamgurney

Jul 9, 2020
Virginia
Hi,

Recently purchased a house with a fisher wood stove in the basement. It’s not active. Just sitting there and collecting dust. I think it’s a Mama Bear based on my limited research.

Looks like the previous owner added some sort of steel surround to add a electric fan... and hiding the beauty below.

While I do not have a need for it, I have had a request from someone asking to buy it.
Any advice on how to value it or how to make sure it goes to a good home?

Attachments

• BF1D9238-2DA8-43AE-B780-ADBA29ADB11A.jpeg
    BF1D9238-2DA8-43AE-B780-ADBA29ADB11A.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 200
  • AE02FAD9-52DD-4A12-977B-BCE51549CE56.jpeg
    AE02FAD9-52DD-4A12-977B-BCE51549CE56.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 77768A28-0121-41AB-9717-DB7032E62213.jpeg
    77768A28-0121-41AB-9717-DB7032E62213.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 84685E78-0B6C-411D-8EF9-865D9BF86603.jpeg
    84685E78-0B6C-411D-8EF9-865D9BF86603.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 251D2E1E-46EF-4C87-BBD5-9431431F50FE.jpeg
    251D2E1E-46EF-4C87-BBD5-9431431F50FE.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: Todd67
Hi,

Recently purchased a house with a fisher wood stove in the basement. It’s not active. Just sitting there and collecting dust. I think it’s a Mama Bear based on my limited research.

Looks like the previous owner added some sort of steel surround to add a electric fan... and hiding the beauty below.

While I do not have a need for it, I have had a request from someone asking to buy it.
Any advice on how to value it or how to make sure it goes to a good home?

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like a Papa Bear, but it's hard to tell with the pictures. The door on a Mama Bear touches the angle iron legs, whereas the Papa Bear has a roughly 1" gap between the edge of the door and the legs.

Value is always difficult, depending on the time of year and location. I've never paid more than $300 for a Fisher stove, but I don't buy "refurbished" or restored stoves. I also don't buy stoves that have been modified or are in need of much work, other than rust removal, new paint and new firebricks.

Is that sheet metal addition attached permanently, or can it be easily removed from the stove?

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like a Papa Bear, but it's hard to tell with the pictures. The door on a Mama Bear touches the angle iron legs, whereas the Papa Bear has a roughly 1" gap between the edge of the door and the legs.

Value is always difficult, depending on the time of year and location. I've never paid more than $300 for a Fisher stove, but I don't buy "refurbished" or restored stoves. I also don't buy stoves that have been modified or are in need of much work, other than rust removal, new paint and new firebricks.

Is that sheet metal addition attached permanently, or can it be easily removed from the stove?

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your time! If it is a Papa, then I don’t look forward to removal day... it’s going to be a bear!

I believe the sheet metal can be removed easily... although I haven’t tried yet, nor given it a thoroughly good look. It is located in the basement of a property I rent out, so will take a closer look next time I’m there, but I don’t want to disturb my tenant unnecessarily (especially during covid).

Measure inside. If a 24 inch long log fits it’s Mama. Papa fits about 30 inch long.Mama and Papa use the same door, so you can only go by how much stove front shows on the sides of door like Todd mentioned. Pictures don’t show it.

As I look at the pictures, the sheet metal cover with the door on the front looks like possible an oven. Or for heating up something like a rhubarb pie or some other desert !!!!!

As I look at the pictures, the sheet metal cover with the door on the front looks like possible an oven. Or for heating up something like a rhubarb pie or some other desert !!!!!
I'm thinking the door above stove going into the plenum is for blasting heat into the area where the stove / furnace is. That would work better than the convected heat pushing into the heated area above furnace where there is no return air. The intake on the blower fan needs to be ducted to the space being heated by the forced air.

This system depressurizes the basement, affecting draft and stove intake pressure.