Stove info needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VanRoyce

Jan 1, 2019
NC
I was given a very old cast iron heater. Odd thing is that it has two pipes ( maybe one inch each) coming out the lower back of stove. Embossed on front WATER STOVE. Makes sense that it would heat water between walls. How would it work? Would I use a pump to circulate water? Doubt a pump was common then. ????

Some are gravity fed I believe. You can add a pump. If you run the stove 24/7 you should be able to heat the water for your house. Just know it will reduce stove heat output as the water will steal some of that heat from the firebox. You have to keep the stove running pretty hot, so more air intake than you would normally think. A glass door is handy for this. If run properly you get free hot water in the winter and a warm house.