Stove (Insert) Prices coming down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmymac

Jul 26, 2008
Orange county, NY
After much deliberation this past spring/summer, and with much information from this board, I decided to wait on ordering a pellet insert. It seemed that the prices of the stoves went up with the price of oil. Now that the price of oil is down, has anyone seen the price of the stoves and inserts dropping???

I guess you will have to wait a long time that this happen, except if there is a large inventory at dealers or manufacturers not sold.

Most manufacturers had to raise their prices due to increase in raw material like steel etc. Or even while demand out striped their sales.
Season ends in a couple of months, lets talk then how the overall situation looks like.
Oil is going up again for a change. So I would not hold my breath in Stove prices coming down too much,
my 2cents

I am fine with oil for now. I don't think the prices are going to last either, and that is why I am still keeping an eye on stoves. But after reading and hearing all of the excuses for high prices (Demand, oil prices, Commodities prices, China, fuel for transportation, greedy installers,etc), I would think that the situation has completely reversed itself. You couldn't get to a salesperson in the store last June. Now, with the cost of oil and the economy, the places are probably more like car dealers. I'll be poking around in the New Year. And if any of the companies ramped up their production to meet the sudden demand, there will be an excess.

I would not look for manufactures to lower prices, best I would hope for is they don't do the anual price increase, may be able to get specials from dealers in Jan Feb. . . .always worth a try :)

I think manufacturers will eventually catch up and dealers will have inventory again. This may take until summer of 09. Sales will probably continue but not at a pace that clears the dealers out. Fuel prices are supposed to increase slightly in 2009 but hold steady through 2009 and the economy will not turn around quick. If stoves are not flying off the dealer's floor quickly enough, the prices might be lowered only a little. As far as stove prices, I think it was the demand that drove the prices more than anything else.

I think alot of people rushed to buy pellet stoves this year without doing their research. Sales will drop and you will see many used stoved for sale. I just think there are still plenty people like yourself still holding out to purchase, so sales will continue for awhile yet.

Lots of opinions on this...so digest them all.

A year ago the warehouses were stuffed full from oversupply of pellet stoves and prices didn't come down.

I agree with codebum, may be a great summer to watch for deals on used pellet stoves. . .

You might see something such as a 10% - 20% off but that will be on the dealers and not on the stove manufacturers. All depends because some manufactures set the price at what the dealers can sell the stoves at (suggested retail). Dealers can have "issues" by not being close to the suggested retail price. When warranty registrations are sent in they need a bill of sale.

Summer is a slow time to sell stoves and dealers are not making money to keep the rent paid, lights, employees paid, or insurances by the stoves sitting on the shelves. Remember you will pay one way or another by the price of pipe, install, or service. Nothing is free or close to free unless they are going out of business or changing stove brands.

Eric

Jimmymac said:
After much deliberation this past spring/summer, and with much information from this board, I decided to wait on ordering a pellet insert. It seemed that the prices of the stoves went up with the price of oil. Now that the price of oil is down, has anyone seen the price of the stoves and inserts dropping???

Jimmy,

A good stove, properly installed is a long term, home investment. Think of the satisfaction, pleasure and heating independence, besides the ROI. A few more, even 12+ more months of lower home heating oil per gal cost does not compare with heating your home, or space, with a low cost, carbon neutral fuel. Also a locally produced and renewable fuel that does not fund the greedy oil cartels.

Start researching the stoves of your choice here on Hearth.com and the web. Visit some stove stores just to see them in person. Early spring is a good time to shop for a stove.

Shop carefully and choose wisely!

Status
Not open for further replies.