stove install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spoolie25

Oct 18, 2017
north nj
hey guys so i am ditching my pellet stove and want to have a wood stove installed but i am going to need all new pipes and or a chimney since the pellet stove pipe is only 3 inch. the place i called said i need to have a chimney built?? why to people just put pipe but i need a chimney? also i am looking at different stoves i have read all the pages of stuff. can any one suggest a good stove for around 2 grand all the top stoves are 3k plus. the house is 1400 sq foot stove is in the basement. thanks guys!!

By "have a chimney built" they probably mean install a pipe- it's generally the easiest solution. For a stove costing around $2k, check out Jotul F55. I would also recommend looking at Woodstock Ideal Steel, but no convection or blower available

The wood stove will need proper venting. Options can be:
a) an all metal flue system consisting of connector pipe and then class A chimney pipe.
b) a masonry chimney with appropriately sized liner that meets code requirements
c) for existing fireplace install, an insulated liner in the chimney that connects to the stove

1400 sq ft including the basement or is that just the upstairs living space? Is the basement insulated, is it fully in the ground or partial exposure? What does the floor plan look like, aka how does the heat travel from the stove to the main floor living area?
If you have a "raised ranch" style or bi-level type home I would look into a Englander nc30 (on sale in the spring at home depot) so figure around $699.00 then add about $1400 - $1800 for class a chimney (through the wall kit, 3ft sections of class a double wall insulated chimney, cap, bracing, any off sets incase you need to go around a gutter, plus double wall black pipe to go between the stove and the through the wall kit on the inside of the house with (2) 45 deg elbows.
You don't necessarily need to use a through the wall kit, if you have the space you can go strait up into the 1st floor then through the attic and out the roof, you would need a through the roof kit which includes a ceiling support box, attic insulation shield, angled roof flange mount and cap, you will also need to separately order a fire stop kit for the class a chimney when passing through additional floors, roof brace if you have multiple lengths of class a chimney on the outside of the roof.
But back to the stove, the Englander is one of the best budget stoves around, built like a tank for a reputable company that's made in the usa. I'd go with a larger stove if heating from the basement especially if that basement walls are not insulated, bare concrete or concrete wall block can absorb and transfer in to earth up to 1/3 of the heat produced by the stove, so if burning 3 cords or wood, you can be loosing 1 full cord to the earth.
But please, be a little more detail specific of your possible installation area, and what your looking for, the men and women here can steer you in the right direction.

Englander nc30 (on sale in the spring at home depot) so figure around $699.00

Does this happen every year? I read that some were getting heavily discounted nc30's a couple years ago by using a certain zip code. That seemed to be a mistake by HD and they stopped it.

Apologies for interrupting the OP's thread.

Does this happen every year? I read that some were getting heavily discounted nc30's a couple years ago by using a certain zip code. That seemed to be a mistake by HD and they stopped it.

Apologies for interrupting the OP's thread.
I think the mistake was offering the stove at 499 at a hd in Colorado, the normal discount was 699 I think

1400 with basmebas. Basement is half under groud . My pellet stove kept the house at a mantained temp. But never brought it up mostly because it is a very small basic stove. It will have to go out of the concrete . I do t min spending a few grand on a good stove and get away with bot feeding it wood ever few hours if I have to get up once in the night to add one that's ok but not ever two hours.. my house is very well insulated I went threw a ton and a half of pellets and. 320 gallons of oil this year.