Stove needs repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmwe29

Jan 7, 2012
Mid MO
Hi. We purchased a used American Harvest 6100 by US Stove Co used, and figured out after we got it home that the auger won't feed pellets to the burn pot. We tried the over-the-phone help from the company, but things are just getting too complicated with the electronics in there- got rather intimidated by the circuit board and the wires. We want to haul it to someone in the state of MO that services these things, but so far haven't found anyone. It truly surprised me that the company was unable to direct us to someone for service. Does anyone out there know of a qualified repair person in Missouri somewhere? We live in the middle, so we can get it most anywhere reasonably. If we can't get this thing fixed, we have a very expensive and large paperweight in the basement.

jmwe29 said:
Hi. We purchased a used American Harvest 6100 by US Stove Co used, and figured out after we got it home that the auger won't feed pellets to the burn pot. We tried the over-the-phone help from the company, but things are just getting too complicated with the electronics in there- got rather intimidated by the circuit board and the wires. We want to haul it to someone in the state of MO that services these things, but so far haven't found anyone. It truly surprised me that the company was unable to direct us to someone for service. Does anyone out there know of a qualified repair person in Missouri somewhere? We live in the middle, so we can get it most anywhere reasonably. If we can't get this thing fixed, we have a very expensive and large paperweight in the basement.

Can't help you with the service place recommendation but I suspect that a few of us pigs might be able to get you up and running think about for a bit and let us know.

The very first thing to do with a used stove (and I don't care if it was given to you by your parents) is to treat it to a full cleaning. That would remove about 80% of the reasons why it won't drop pellets.

Yes I agree with Smokey.a full cleaning is in order. Dryer vent brush and an assortment of various wire brushes along with a good shop vac will help in getting it clean. If the hopper was empty then the auger shoot was most likely empty and may need to ne primed before pellets will drop. Haven't had a chance to look at the Manuel but will take a gander at it to try and help you. Theres plenty of people here to get you up and running.

Take the side panel off and look at the circuit board. The previous owner may have been running it with a thermostat. There are 2 terminals on the board marked "tstat." There should be a jumper between those 2 terminals. Make sure it is there. If they arent it wont feed pellets after it starts up. Just a thought You can also run diagnostics on that stove and run each system independantly. Good luck.

Good point,didn't even think about he jumper the t stat.

I bought a used US Stove. Had that problem. Spent hours on the phone with tech support. Finally ripped it out and put it up for sale. A board member PM'ed me and mentioned the tstat. That was it. By that time I had already replaced the stove. Live and learn!.

Wow. Such wonderful people here! Andy is bound and determined to take the thing to someone, but I will at least work on the cleaning myself. Pellets are a whole new world to me and I had no clue these things are so incredibly complicated. Certainly not an old wood circulator! So someone will have to tell me where to start with a cleaning beyond the shop vac pulling out the ash in the burn pot. What next??

Once cleaned, I have a notion that I'll be calling US Stoves back again- after walking Andy thru all kinds of push-this-button gymnastics, the auger just completely quit and hasn't worked at all since, where it was just simply slow when we first got the thing. Betting the cleaning would have done it at that point, but now it's an electronic mess. My opinion of this company is deteriorating!

jmwe29 said:
Wow. Such wonderful people here! Andy is bound and determined to take the thing to someone, but I will at least work on the cleaning myself. Pellets are a whole new world to me and I had no clue these things are so incredibly complicated. Certainly not an old wood circulator! So someone will have to tell me where to start with a cleaning beyond the shop vac pulling out the ash in the burn pot. What next??

Once cleaned, I have a notion that I'll be calling US Stoves back again- after walking Andy thru all kinds of push-this-button gymnastics, the auger just completely quit and hasn't worked at all since, where it was just simply slow when we first got the thing. Betting the cleaning would have done it at that point, but now it's an electronic mess. My opinion of this company is deteriorating!

The following is done with the stove off, cold, and unplugged (never service the stove with it plugged in, there is always 120 volt ac in the stove as long as it is plugged in).

If you have a leaf blower that can be used as a leaf vacuum, apply that to the end of the venting be certain it isn't pointed at anything that you don't want covered in ash and turn it on and let it run until the air coming out is perfectly clear. While it is running and if the firebox walls are steel tap on them with a rubber mallet or use a hammer against a small block of wood on the walls, do not do the tapping routine on cast iron as it will crack and destroy cast.

Then making certain that you have a replacement combustion blower gasket remove and clean the combustion (exhaust) blower's impeller and any remaining stuff between the impeller and the motor mount plate. Clean the blower motor (and any cooling fan it has) Reinstall the blower back to its cavity.

I'd locate the hose going to the vacuum switch remove tube at both ends blow through the tube, then at the barb where the non switch end of the tubing was removed from I'd run a pipe cleaner or paper clip through, these have been known to plug up preventing the auger from turning.

Reinstall the vacuum hose.

Next I'd check the coupling between the auger motor and the auger frequently the set screw there can loosen up and the motor actually run but the auger not always turn. Then remove the pellets from the hopper and the auger flight cover (this is the part in the hooper that covers the auger (that is if this is a drop (top) feed device (I haven't bothered to download yet another USSC manual so I don't know what kind of feeder your stove has on it.) clean out all of the pellets and check for pellets lodged between the auger and the bottom of the flight (it is also possible for there to be a fines plug that prevents the auger from delivering pellets but not turning this will sometimes appear as a very slow feed). Put it back together.

While you are thoroughly up to your neck in a mess remove and clean the convection (room, distribution) blower including the motor and its cooling fan check the motor plate for lubrication information, obey that information, locate the lubrication ports (if any) and place 2 drops of the recommended oil into each port, spin the squirrel cage it should spin freely (if not add another drop to each part and spin the cage again). Reinstall the convection blower.

We can also provide information to test various parts of the stove if you are comfortable working with electricity let us know.

Then you can plug the stove back in.

ETA: If you don't have a leaf blower but have a very strong shop vac with a fine filter bag and a heppa filter attach that to the stoves vent as close to the stove as you can get it and use it instead of the leaf blower. Make certain that you have the correct filters or you'll have one hell of a mess and likely a burned out motor..

Status
Not open for further replies.