Stove setup questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
I have a question about stove set ups. I had my stove installed in my basement around 3 months ago. It is an Englander 30 that I had installed by a professional with the standard install--stove pipe straight out of the stove about 4 feet and then through the concrete wall and then straight up the side of house with about 26 feet of double wall insulated chimney. My problem is that my basement is just now finished and we are making it into a family room and I find that I should have had the stove installed about 4 feet further towards the wall(which is concrete and still would be outside the combustible range) to give room for furniture, tv, etc. Without moving the thimble and whole chimney, is it possible to simply slide the stove over and add a few feet of stove pipe and two bends/joints in the pipe before it goes to the thimble and out the block wall? My draft is insane and I have considered putting in a damper anyway, so I don't think a diminished draft would be a big deal. My question is if this is safe and normally done. I realize that this is tough to answer without pics, and I will post some later when I get home, but was hoping for some advice now as well.

Yes you can. If possible, I'd suggest using 45 degree angled pipe on the stove to make the transition from the stove over then a 90 into the thimble.

I agree w/ the amount of draft you must have that you should be fine. It might look a bit strange but should operate fine. I just would not go up, to a 90, over horizontally, then out again w/ a 90.

pen

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. It will look a little odd, but add some much need space for furniture.

I agree with trying the double 45's. If the basement floor is still unfinished, it doesnt cost much to buy a couple 45s and a chunk of pipe to try it out. If it works in this warmer muggier weather, it should work even better when it gets back to cold and crisp next year. How is starting up that stove from cold in regards to smoking and downdraft?

Franks said:
I agree with trying the double 45's.

If I am envisioning it correctly he'll need one 45 and one 90. the 45 to turn from the stove towards the thimble (left or right) then the 90 to transition into it.

pen

Franks said:
I agree with trying the double 45's. If the basement floor is still unfinished, it doesnt cost much to buy a couple 45s and a chunk of pipe to try it out. If it works in this warmer muggier weather, it should work even better when it gets back to cold and crisp next year. How is starting up that stove from cold in regards to smoking and downdraft?

The downdraft can be a beast. I generally use the propane torch for about 3-5 minutes to get the heat rising and then I light my kindling pile. Always wind up with a small amount of smoke, but have made it so that I don't start the fire alarms regularly anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.