Stove surface temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

607PelletBurn

Mar 11, 2019
I have an Lopi Leyden Pellet Stove, all hooked up running well. I did notice that on the exterior of the stove itself where the combustion fan is it gets rather warm, like hold finger for 1/2 second hot. The back side grating and the stove pipe itself (double wall pelletvent) also get very warm. I'm wondering if it's worth it wire up a small 120mm computer style fan to move air across the back side of the stove to help move the heat buildup around the combustion fan when the convection fan is on. I understand it's combustion, it's "hot", but still wonder if maybe motors would benefit from slightly cooler air.

If you don't mind the added noise and electricity expense from running 12v pc fans i guess it can't hurt. Not sure how much it will help.

I put an 8" fan I bought at a hardware store on top of the pellet hopper of my stove to help move the warm air around. I wouldn't worry about the stove components, I'm sure the manufacturer of the stove knew that the stove would be get hot.

Most pellet stoves are hotter on the sides than the top, when we do hit -40, I aim a 20x20 widow fan at either side of my stove depending where I want the heat

the benefits of adding a fan like that really are not going to be that noticeable. The cost of running the fan you will probably never notice.. I run 3 good quality air purifiers in my house 24/7 and the cost to run them is barley noticeable on my bill

Reactions: Washed-Up