Stove taking forever to shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latichever

Hearth Supporter
Apr 14, 2006
I turned off my stove (Breckwell) at 8am. Wanted to stir the burn pot. After three hours of it not shutting down, I pulled the plug. I opened the door, and there were still lots of glowing embers. I stirred the pot, and plugged in again. Then it commenced the start up cycle on its own. So I pressed the start/stop button and it re-entered the shut down cycle, and an hour later it still hasn't shut down.

I'm assuming the shut down is based on some internal temperature and the fact that there were still glowing embers must mean something. It seems that the stove is taking longer to shut down this year. Stove is around 8-years-old. I've switched from softwood to (big box store) hardwood if that's of any relevance.

Is it safe to just pull the plug after three hours and just leave it at that. I want to go out, but I'm concerned not to leave the house until it finishes on its own.

Thoughts?
---------------------------

Update: I called Breckwell support, and they suspect there's potentially a problem with vacuum switch, or something related. But she said before I fix that it would be perfectly safe as a workaround to unplug the stove after, say, a half-hour through the shut down, and then plug back in and start it again.

Last edited:
I turned off my stove (Breckwell) at 8am. Wanted to stir the burn pot. After three hours of it not shutting down, I pulled the plug. I opened the door, and there were still lots of glowing embers. I stirred the pot, and plugged in again. Then it commenced the start up cycle on its own. So I pressed the start/stop button and it re-entered the shut down cycle, and an hour later it still hasn't shut down.

I'm assuming the shut down is based on some internal temperature and the fact that there were still glowing embers must mean something. It seems that the stove is taking longer to shut down this year. Stove is around 8-years-old. I've switched from softwood to (big box store) hardwood if that's of any relevance.

Is it safe to just pull the plug after three hours and just leave it at that. I want to go out, but I'm concerned not to leave the house until it finishes on its own.

Thoughts?
---------------------------

Update: I called Breckwell support, and they suspect there's potentially a problem with vacuum switch, or something related. But she said before I fix that it would be perfectly safe as a workaround to unplug the stove after, say, a half-hour through the shut down, and then plug back in and start it again.
Do you think it's safe to leave your house with the stove running? I don't think I would. If the stove needs to shut down and you aren't there to unplug it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.