Stove vs freestanding fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FanMan

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2012
CT stix & upstate NY
A comment in another thread got me wondering, and this is probably a stupid question and just a matter of semantics, but is there a defined difference between a "wood stove" and a "freestanding fireplace"?

FWIW, this is mine. Not terribly efficient but wood is free for me. The comment in the other thread was "stoves don't have grates" but this one does:
1699148283825.png

Reactions: djlew
There used to be several fireplace stoves made. The best known one was the Franklin style.
Preway made some nice enameled ones.

I think PE uses the same firebox for their stoves and FP series. So the line is further blurred. Choose a firebox and then pick what you want to surround it.