Q&A stove without power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am building a new home in Spokane. It is a large home and I would like to put a gas stove in the main floor and in the basement (maybe one upstairs too). What I would really like for, the basement only, is a gas stove in which I could burn wood if there was ever a long term power outage. Is there such a stove available. I have no problem putting in a stove pipe for wood and venting gas to it. Could the burners be removed for wood burning and the replace the burners when the power is back on?Do you have any suggesting for heating if there is no power, besides wood? Is there a gravity feed pellet stove

Answer:

I don't know of any gas/wood combination when it comes to a stove. There may be this combo in cooking ranges, but I'm unsure.

A gas stove can operate without power because a high percentage of gas hearth appliances use a standing pilot system that generates their own millivolt electrical system. This allows the valve to stay open, and the gas to flow. The only difference is that if the products uses a fan or blower for pushing heat into the room,the blower won't work when the power is out. But, the product will still work. That's the beauty of radiant wood stoves, because they still represent independence from power.

Pellet stoves, however, need electricity to work. They use fans to blow the heat to the room. They use a fan to blow the exhausts out of the home.

If power outages is a concern, and I know that you folks get dumped on from time to time in the winter with wet snow, then think about a generator backup. I bet with the Y2K thing, there's a lot of generators still out there at a great price. Wirethe generator's sub-panel into your current panel, and you'll be ready with a flick of a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.