Sugar Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I think I scored sugar this evening? 2012 is starting to take shape.

Attachments

• 072810maple.jpg
    072810maple.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 397
  • 072810pile.jpg
    072810pile.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 305
That's a nice score of Sugar Maple no doubt and heavy I bet.....good burning stuff.
I had to noodle some rounds last year like that by the side of the road (just to get in the back of the truck.)

WoodButcher

SolarAndWood said:
I think I scored sugar this evening? 2012 is starting to take shape.

Feed that beast of a splitter, nice score Solar.

zap

Grabbing a cord of bucked sugar maple off the side of the road after work is one thing, splitting in this hot sticky nonsense is another. The rounds were plenty heavy but nothing like the 30" rounds I rolled down the hill to the trailer last week.

SolarAndWood said:
Grabbing a cord of bucked sugar maple off the side of the road after work is one thing, splitting in this hot sticky nonsense is another. The rounds were plenty heavy but nothing like the 30" rounds I rolled down the hill to the trailer last week.

Two years ago I had a good size branch off a maple tree come down, made the 24 ton growl but she popped. I still have 3 face cord that will be burned this heating season.

zap

Zap, that is where my FIL's design/work shines. Those big rounds don't stand a chance.

SolarAndWood said:
Zap, that is where my FIL's design/work shines. Those big rounds don't stand a chance.

I want to see this!

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

I want to see this!

Smokin have you seen his splitter? Solar if he says no please post a picture of the BEAST!

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

I want to see this!

Smokin have you seen his splitter? Solar if he says no please post a picture of the BEAST!

zap

If I have I do not rember it.

Here she is. The motor is the one I replaced with the electric. It works very well but I think it may need a bigger tank and a lift before I get much older.

Attachments

• 041710splitter.jpg
    041710splitter.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 237
  • wisconsin.jpg
    wisconsin.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 213
Thats big need a ramp to roll the big rounds up there. If your not already.

I just suck it up and get them up there. I figure anything that I need to get on that beam I lifted into the trailer already anyway.

SolarAndWood said:
I just suck it up and get them up there. I figure anything that I need to get on that beam I lifted into the trailer already anyway.

makes sence...I seen the noodle job just didnt put it all together.

I haven't ever noodled and don't own a long enough bar for those big rounds anyway. The tree guys make it small enough so that their guys can move it.

SolarAndWood said:
I haven't ever noodled and don't own a long enough bar for those big rounds anyway. The tree guys make it small enough so that their guys can move it.

THATS A Good sawsmen. I will put the splitter within inchs of the rounds but still have to noodle the very heavy ones.

I've been a bum, this weather has been too hot for me to pay attention. Today we had some nasty storms with big winds come through and knocked a bunch of tree's down a few miles from here. I didn't even bother to stop and ask, I just kept on driving.

Maybe I'll stop tomorrow if they're still around, nah just kidding. :lol:

SolarAndWood said:
Here she is. The motor is the one I replaced with the electric. It works very well but I think it may need a bigger tank and a lift before I get much older.

Sorry to hijack your thread but do you have any info on the electric conversion? I figured this is something I may consider if I ever need to replace the engine on mine.

It is never too hot to take advantage of such opportunities. The splitting, however, can wait. The splitter has a 16 gpm pump on it. A 5hp motor off a rotted compressor works well. I have had maybe a half dozen occasions where the motor overheated and started tripping the breaker.

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

THATS A Good sawsmen. I will put the splitter within inchs of the rounds but still have to noodle the very heavy ones.

These guys do nice work. Nothing gets split on site, these guys do a nice job of making everything movable. The guy this load came from uses a 4 wheeler and a trailer with balloon tires to get everything to the street. Pretty slick.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

These guys do nice work. Nothing gets split on site, these guys do a nice job of making everything movable. The guy this load came from uses a 4 wheeler and a trailer with balloon tires to get everything to the street. Pretty slick.

Yes that is slick, I have seen one company using the powerd wheel barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.