Suggestions for new pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodchimp

Feb 22, 2017
Oregon
I'm needing a new pellet stove for my shop. It's around 800 sq ft., well insulated and was being heated by my 1992 Austroflamm Integra. After 25 years of faithful service, the Integra has destroyed it's last control board and burnt through it's final burn pot. I'm ready for something new.
I know that I was blessed with one of the best stoves on the market, but I'm hoping that with advances in technology, one of the less expensive models out now will work for me.
I've been researching models in the 1000 to 1400 dollar range, such as the Pelpro PP130, Pleasant Hearth Cab,. Style 50000, Castle Serenity, US Stoves, and Heatilators. I don't need ignitors, wifi, or anything fancy. I just need something that holds over a bag of pellets, is easy to clean and might last 5 years without a hassle.
Any suggestions, especially what to avoid.

The serenity will be the easiest to clean and best customer support if ever needed, but it only holds a bag of pellets, if that don't work I would then look at the heatilator.

Thanks for the quick reply. A 40 pound hopper isn't a deal breaker. Are the parts readily available? Does it go through burn pots like the Integra?

parts are no problem just a phone call away to Ardisam and no it does not go through burnpots it's a very reliable stove

I'm needing a new pellet stove for my shop. It's around 800 sq ft., well insulated and was being heated by my 1992 Austroflamm Integra. After 25 years of faithful service, the Integra has destroyed it's last control board and burnt through it's final burn pot. I'm ready for something new.
I know that I was blessed with one of the best stoves on the market, but I'm hoping that with advances in technology, one of the less expensive models out now will work for me.
I've been researching models in the 1000 to 1400 dollar range, such as the Pelpro PP130, Pleasant Hearth Cab,. Style 50000, Castle Serenity, US Stoves, and Heatilators. I don't need ignitors, wifi, or anything fancy. I just need something that holds over a bag of pellets, is easy to clean and might last 5 years without a hassle.
Any suggestions, especially what to avoid.

what made you decide on a new stove vs replacing the control board and burnpot? How often does the burnpot fail?

what made you decide on a new stove vs replacing the control board and burnpot? How often does the burnpot fail?
Burn pots are $125, control board is $395. I have two Integras and between them I've gone through over 40 burn pots in 25 years. I've replaced 3 control boards, 3 convection fans, 1 exhaust fan, countless low limit switches, and several other components. Overall, they've been great stoves and I still intend to use one as a backup for my home ductless system. The one in the shop will become backup parts.
With new stoves going for around a grand, I would rather invest the money in something reliable for my shop rather than troubleshooting and parts replacement on a semi yearly basis.
These stoves run constantly for 6-7 months of the year, all day and night. They are just old and tired!

Burn pots are $125, control board is $395. I have two Integras and between them I've gone through over 40 burn pots in 25 years. I've replaced 3 control boards, 3 convection fans, 1 exhaust fan, countless low limit switches, and several other components. Overall, they've been great stoves and I still intend to use one as a backup for my home ductless system. The one in the shop will become backup parts.
With new stoves going for around a grand, I would rather invest the money in something reliable for my shop rather than troubleshooting and parts replacement on a semi yearly basis.
These stoves run constantly for 6-7 months of the year, all day and night. They are just old and tired!

Must be cheap steel used in them for them to wear out so fast.:eek: I have never heard anyone else on here having to replace so many burn pots. And at 125$ each... Yikes!

How did they fail, did they crack?

Must be cheap steel used in them for them to wear out so fast.:eek: I have never heard anyone else on here having to replace so many burn pots. And at 125$ each... Yikes!

How did they fail, did they crack?
They are cast iron. The bottom burns out. It's very common in 90s era pellet stoves.

Alright, it's down to the Castle Serenity for $999 and the Heatilator EcoChoice PS50 for $1665. I just kicked the tires on the Heatilator and it seems like a fairly solid stove for the money. The Serenity is online order only.
Any final suggestions, comments?

With all the money you've spent on parts a Harman might have served you a lot better. Sure it costs more money up front but the parts are cheaper and they last longer. My opinion is they use less pellets if used on the room temp auto mode as well. I maintain my own Harman and a neighbor's Hudson River and the difference is like night and day. I heat more space with less pellets and in the last 4 years her parts cost is somewhere near 500 and mine is 0. It is much easier and less involved to clean mine versus hers. Cheaper isn't always better a P43 would easily heat the space, unless all the windows are open, and wouldn't run all that much in auto mode. Mine runs in room temp auto on a programmable thermostat 7-24s whether I'm home or not and has ignited thousands of times with no misfires and is still on the same igniter.
Ron

As they say hindsight is 20 20. You also have to take into consideration what was available in the US 25 years ago. Pellet stoves weren't available and as well known in all states as they are today. Austroflamm wasn't and isn't a 'cheap' stove. A comparable stove back then was $2000 and sells for $4500 today. Sure, Harmon is well known today, but wasn't in Oregon 25 years ago.
As far as my needs today, I can't justify the cost of a Harmon or Austroflamm for my business. I am 68 and plan to retire from it in 2 years. The business wouldn't see the benefits of a stove that lasts 25 years, even if it has zero repairs.

Reactions: rich2500
As they say hindsight is 20 20. You also have to take into consideration what was available in the US 25 years ago. Pellet stoves weren't available and as well known in all states as they are today. Austroflamm wasn't and isn't a 'cheap' stove. A comparable stove back then was $2000 and sells for $4500 today. Sure, Harmon is well known today, but wasn't in Oregon 25 years ago.
As far as my needs today, I can't justify the cost of a Harmon or Austroflamm for my business. I am 68 and plan to retire from it in 2 years. The business wouldn't see the benefits of a stove that lasts 25 years, even if it has zero repairs.

then go with the serenity, easy to use and maintain. Price is right too.

I really needed to get heat back in the shop so I got what I believe is a good deal on a Heatilator Cab50 from a local dealer. We're setting it up today and I'll report back. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reactions: rich2500
congrats that's a good stove

congrats that's a good stove
Everything set up easily and it's been running for a couple hours. So far, I'm very pleased with the sound level, heat output and general appearance of the stove. The front side panels do get very hot, but that is to be expected due to the layout of the firebox. I was expecting a bit more outgasing from the paint, but that has dissipated after an hour on high.