Suggestions for replacement wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tithis

Jul 30, 2020
Western Mass
Recently moved into an old colonial with fireplaces out the wazoo. In the largest one, an big hearth with a beehive oven, there is currently a Jotul 602 installed. I'd rather like to upgrade it to something that can throw out a bit more heat into the house (~2,400 sqft) and have a longer burn time for loading up before bed.

The hearth in question has 48" of clearance from the floor to wooden trim, and has a depth of 47.5" from the rear wall to floor.
UtX4BmW.jpg

I was thinking something like the Jotul F 45 since that falls within the vertical clearances. My only concern looking at the manual is the the smallest depth listed is 48" with 7" of rear clearance with a protected wall and this would leave me 1/2" short.

I've heard that this clearance is only towards combustibles surfaces though and in the case of thick masonry this rear clearance can be less. The brick masonry extends all the way to the back of the house going through part of the kitchen and part of the pantry.
NjBogDj.jpg

hQ1nGUX.jpg

And only fully ends outside the house where there is a small outdoor fireplace.

fpqrs1B.jpg

Guess I'm just looking for advice on if that rear clearance could be reduced due to the depth of the masonry, and I'm open to other stoves suggestions

Clearances only apply to combustibles. The back of the masonry fireplace is not combustible. More important is protecting the wood mantel. It will need a shield. For a stove I would be looking at the F55 unless this room is closed off from the rest of the house.

Why does it require a shield? The Jotul F45 is 29 3/4" with a short leg option to bring it to 26 1/2". Listed clearance for 1" trim is 16" and 20" for a 12" mantle. It seems like the shortleg option would be enough to satisfy the trim/mantel requirements.

Not meaning to challenge, just trying to understand to possibly apply to other stoves.

I’d fill that bad boy up with a Jotul F600.

Cool house. I worked on a few late 1700-mid 1800s houses in Mass. very skilled craftsmen

Yes, the F45 will slip under the requirement, but unless this area is closed off from the house I think you will want a larger stove. It will provide more heat and a longer burntime. When comparing to other stoves that clearance is important, but a mantel shield could still make it possible.