Suggestions for this mess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ispinwool

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2010
Butler County, Pa.
Screenshot_20211105-170454.png
We're gonna close on a dilapidated old house...this structure is in the yard. If you squint at the center of the pic, you'll see a hearth/fireplace/chimney. I'm assuming it was once a decent little picnic pavilion.
If y'all have something similar, would you please post a pic?
(It's a safety hazard so the wood part will come down...but what do we do with it then?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not quite understand but could not you reinforce it maybe with a new roof and turn it into a wood shed if it is airy and sunny at that spot--maybe with a clear plastic roof type of thing..Its cute.. I cannot see what's inside of it.., maybe close it off and store stuff in it...maybe a little house for some type of animal if it is close to your home...or maybe just get rid of it..lol clancey

Are you moving there or maybe renting it out? If moving, clean off the roof and maybe replace with metal roofing.

Looks like it's bonfire time!

Are you moving there or maybe renting it out? If moving, clean off the roof and maybe replace with metal roofing.
the jury is still out on that question...I want to use the home as a 'retirement' space (out in the country/peace
and quiet) but hubby thinks we should make it a rental. Time will tell I guess.

If the structure is sound I agree with others recommending a new roof.
That said, it looks like the uphill side of the structure is givng way as the hillside pushes it down.
If that's the case, I'd raze it and put in a short retaining wall to hold back the hill and some pavers to create a nice sitting area. This would at least preserve the earthwork cut into the hillside that's already there and you could build a structure on it in the future if wanted.

Reactions: ispinwool
Wow getting swallowed up by the woods. Serious damp issues. I assume the roof held up? You got there just in time. Looks like a nice house, a worthy restoration. You probably already know this but be careful of lead paint. I don't know if you are doing any hands on, but you can get $10 kits to test the paint, inside and out. Have fun and good luck!

Wow getting swallowed up by the woods. Serious damp issues. I assume the roof held up? You got there just in time. Looks like a nice house, a worthy restoration. You probably already know this but be careful of lead paint. I don't know if you are doing any hands on, but you can get $10 kits to test the paint, inside and out. Have fun and good luck!
it is indeed being swallowed! LOL It can barely be seen from the road! From what we can see, the roof isn't too bad, just a lot of moss and weedy stuff growing on it...the whole place looks like 'they' started renovating and simply walked away. The cupboards sitting in the pics aren't ours...they were there when we saw it. A local guy my hubby talked to seems to think that the house has been sitting like this since the 1990's. (which, unfortunately, means that the roof is nearing the end of its life.)
And yes, all of this will be 'hands on'...hubby and I enjoy a good challenge! This is our 2nd "rescue" and we always just assume there's lead
paint. We'll have to take precautions anyways...there's PILES of critter poop all over the place! _g We just hope the critters are long gone and aren't still whooping it up in the attic!

Wow that's going to be quite the rescue... I would also rescue the shed/firepit area that redone in some cedar would look great

Wow that's going to be quite the rescue... I would also rescue the shed/firepit area that redone in some cedar would look great
agreed. the more i look at it, the more i think it'd be savable and a really nice feature... :)❤️‍🔥