Summer On the Way!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Shortest day of the year where I live. Sun sets 1 minute later today than yesterday, and afternoon daylight starts getting longer. We still have 3 more minutes to lose of morning daylight, and then morning light starts getting longer on Jan 8. In the meantime, afternoon daylight is increasing faster than loss of morning light. Summer is on the way!

Sunrise today: 7:59 am
Sunset today: 4:32 pm
8:33 hours of daylight

It's the shortest day of the year in the entire Northern Hemisphere. Sunrise, sunset, and hours of light/darkness vary with Latitude.

Here's a fun site to play around with:

http://www.gaisma.com/en/

Thank You Fossil, that's actually a really great resource. I was able to choose a city 10 miles away. Always wondered what a polar plot of the sun tracking over my house looked like on winter solstice and summer solstice.

Yeah, it's cool. I think you can also do a side-by-side comparison of two different localities. Have fun! Rick

Good reminder to update the avatar. We may be in the shortest sunlight days, but the moonshine is at it's longest. Happy Solstice everyone.

Reactions: woodgeek
then there 's jan10-feb 10. with our returning daylight, the cold ! just in time to use up our dry wood, pellets, bio brick, and any coal we got from santa. have a Merry Christmas everybody.

A great reason to celebrate, my personal favorite. I couldn't imagine living at a higher latitude.
I've got something special planned for around noon today in our area when the moment of max tilt occurs.
We have some friends that always have a big bonfire involving a large collection of last year's x-mas trees, an event that could probably be spotted from the space station.

Status
Not open for further replies.