Summers heat 55 shp 10L question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiftman

Jan 23, 2014
Virginia
Hello everyone,

I'm am the proud owner of a new summers heat 55 shp-10L pellet stove. Install went great and I have been running it for about a week without my god aweful heat pump kicking on. I believe my exaust set up is 1ft. horizontal through wall and thimble - clean out T - 3ft. vertical - 1ft horizontal to termination.

So here's my problem. It was running great, keeping the house nice and toasty, but I was running through a 40lb. Bag in about 14 hrs with heat setting at 2 and blower on 3.

I've read on the forums people were getting about a day/day and a half a bag. So I emailed the englanderstove tech. He told me to turn the low fuel feed from 6 to 3 and now my problems are starting.

Before leaving for work I filled the hopper with a bag. My wife came home about 4 hours later to find the stove off, and the hopper completely full.

There was no clog of pellets in the auger, it seems that the fire just died. I'm not sure if the fuel/air ratio is off with the new change to the LFF or what the problem was.

Anyone have any advice on the settings of the 3 buttons LFF - LBA - AOT.

I told my wife to set it back to 6-4-1 which I believe is the default setting.

My guess would be the fuel feed is too low now. If fire burns too low and goes out, combustion blower will run for a preset period of time to make sure smoke has cleared combustion chamber, auger will stop and stove will eventually shut off.
As to how much fuel you use, it varies on the size of the house, how weather tight it is, and how cold it gets in your area. The only time I get a day out of a bag is in the shoulder seasons when it doesn't run 24/7 - then I get extremes on cold in the winter;lol

That's what I figured.

Have you found a setting that works best for you, or do you just leave it at the default settings.

I feel like i may not be getting a clean burn because I'm left with a good portion of ash, and the glass is covered in soot, (tried 4 types of pellets each with the same result)

You're right on the default settings. Since I don't have a stove like yours, I'm not able to help with best settings for your stove. Hopefully others with an Englander stove will chime in... Use the search at the top to find threads that may help with your concerns.

Do you have an OAK (outside air kit)? It is mandatory on the Englander stoves...

As far as pellet usage, more advanced stoves will shut down when the room is up to a pre-set temperature, reignite on its own when the stove calls for heat. I don't think you have this option. This may account for some of the difference....

The "soot" on the glass - is it tan or black. All stoves will get fly ash residue on the glass (tan). How clean it stays and for how long depends on the airwash system, quality of pellets used and quality of your burn. On a lower heat setting, the burn generally isn't as efficient so you may get build up on the glass sooner. When the stove is shut down and cooled, a damp cloth followed by a dry one will get it off.

My suggestion would be to read your manual thoroughly - not just settings but also details of cleaning are very important over time (some of the manuals are limited in info so it is more trial and error). For the settings, when you change one, give it some time to settle into the change (air or feed), only change one thing at a time, and keep notes on changes in flame and heat output. Take the time to get to know your stove...

If you don't have one already make sure you have a surge protector and a CO detector.

Welcome to the forum and we love pics of stoves;lol

The best way I've found to conserve pellets on mine is to run the bottom three on 4-2-1. With that setting I run my heat one higher than the blower, like 2 on the heat and 1 on the blower and so on.

Hello everyone,

I'm am the proud owner of a new summers heat 55 shp-10L pellet stove..

So here's my problem. It was running great, keeping the house nice and toasty, but I was running through a 40lb. Bag in about 14 hrs with heat setting at 2 and blower on 3.

I've read on the forums people were getting about a day/day and a half a bag. So I emailed the englanderstove tech. He told me to turn the low fuel feed from 6 to 3 and now my problems are starting.

Anyone have any advice on the settings of the 3 buttons LFF - LBA - AOT.

I told my wife to set it back to 6-4-1 which I believe is the default setting.

I have that stove, and have been experimenting with it for a while now.
Both with settings, and pellets.
First, I am just trying to keep my garage warmer with it. So it is not in the house.
My bottom settings are 3-3-1. At night I set the feed/blower to 1-6.
I am also using mode C. Because when I need the heat.. I want it.
I go 5-6.
You do not need that in your house, more than likely.
Without trying to get every cubic inch of the hopper perfectly full, I just level it off somewhat,
I have no problem with it going 24 hours... A friend has the same stove in his house,
a lot better insulated than my garage, naturally, and he runs about the same setting
at night.

Keep it clean, and really watch that area around the auger tube end at the burnpot.
You need to keep the carbon off the very end of the tube, or your auger could jam..
Not good..

Naturally, your whole setup could be different, but that is working well for two
stoves that I know of..

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.