Summers Heat 55-SHP10L Venting Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunflint

Jan 27, 2008
IL
Hi I'm new here but I have to tell you this is a great place for information! I just bought the stove above and I was wondering if there is a way to vent straight out the back without having the pipe that goes up the sidewall? I've seen stoves that vent with what looks like a dryer vent assembly on the outside wall and I was just wondering if this is possible.
Thanks

Also I should add that the spot I want to put the vent is 10' off the ground so fire would not be an issue.

Read the manual. Most pellet stove allow it. It will have to stick out 6-12" from the house depending on the stove. You will also probably get black soot all over the side of the house over time. If you look around Rod has some good pics of this he has posted.

Gunflint said:
Hi I'm new here but I have to tell you this is a great place for information! I just bought the stove above and I was wondering if there is a way to vent straight out the back without having the pipe that goes up the sidewall? I've seen stoves that vent with what looks like a dryer vent assembly on the outside wall and I was just wondering if this is possible.
Thanks

Also I should add that the spot I want to put the vent is 10' off the ground so fire would not be an issue.

It can be done but shouldn't be. We see reports here of everything from setting the grass and bushes on fire to sooting up the side of the house to filling the house with smoke if the power goes off.

A straight up rise outside gives you natural draft to pull the smoke out if the combustion/exhaust blower goes off for any reason including power failure. It also allows any cinders that make it out of the exhaust of the stove to either burn up in the pipe on the way up or have far enough to fall that they extinguish on the way to the ground. And by putting a 90 degree elbow at the top aimed away from the house it routes any smoke away from the siding on your house.

Too many advantages not to do it.

Don't do it! Make sure you have a vertical rise, and then a short (1 foot+) horizontal run away from the house. All of the reasons that have been mentioned about this are exactly why. I am so glad I went with a vertical run on this stove - I've been burning some really sooty pellets, and my vent pipe is just caked with this stuff (on the outside - I clean the inside out ever 3 weeks or so). If I had the vent going straight out the house horizontally, the side of my house would be black.

Status
Not open for further replies.