sunflower screenings in a coal boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikedheat

Nov 5, 2019
aggressive
hi guys,
i'm new to the forum and thought i'd look for some help.
i heat a 3000 sq. ft. shop with floor heat, a 3000 sq. ft. home with a radiator in my furnace and some floor heat, and 1000 sq. ft. garage with floor heat. I used to do this all with coal, but coal started getting expensive(about $5000 a year - half of that cost is freight from Alberta). I now run sunflower screenings(or hulls) through my coal stoker boiler and it works really well(costs me only $2000 a year). Well, it doesn't burn that efficiently, but it causes no problems and its really cheap. I pay between $20 and $40 per ton of the stuff and order by the b-train. I have the storage on my yard and it keeps my costs down and reduces how often i need to order fuel. i really want to stay with this fuel type.

My issue is my boiler is getting old and i probably only have a season or 2 left with my current boiler. Is anyone out here burning sunflower screenings? Or something similar? They behave a lot like pellets.

I'm looking for a new outdoor stove capable of around 300k btu/hr that would be CSA or UL certified to satisfied my insurance that could use the screenings i have available.

thanks in advance,

Heatmaster's B series is an auger fed boiler with the capability of burning screenings, coal, chips and more. Their number is 877 325-9792.

ill second the B-series. burning decent fuel they work great