Sunfrost RF-16 latch system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stmar

Sep 12, 2014
Wyo
Has anybody with a Sunfrost refrigerator/freezer found a better latch system than the OEM? Over 20 years we have worn out about a half dozen, down to my last two so wanted to know if there is a chance of improving. I was thinking of a magnet, like on some cabinets, if I can find one strong enough to get a good seal. Also, speaking of seals, what kind of door seal are you using? I think mine are okay but would like other options when I need to replace those. Sunfrost said they stock V seals, whatever that means. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Moved to the DIY section for some brainstorming. Can you post some pictures of the latching mechanism. I am wondering if something from the pellet stove door latch system on some stoves might be adaptable.

It is a stab type latch. I saw some strong mag latches for cabinets, 15 lbs. so that seems like an option. See attached pic.

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    latch.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 105
It is made of a hard plastic/fiber, the hook/stab part is rounding off and the receiving unit is also wearing. The receiving unit has a tab that pulls out on open and goes in at close, that tab holds the hook on close.

I looked on e-bay for the heck of it to see if I could find something like what you are looking for thinking that it would be hard to find--never heard of the refrigerator and to my surprise its a real going business and their refrigerators are very nice at the same time..Never found anything on e bay in regard to your item but came up with the company telephone number and pictures and would not you think that those latches should be made with steel or something for longer wear? mrs clancey

They are a high end frig for alternative power, 24 vdc, and I am sure I can get replacement parts from Sunfrost but I want something better. May try that magnetic cabinet latch, can pick them up from Home Depot for a few bucks and it looks like I can mount the same as the original with minimal modifications. Just though someone would have gone through this before but I guess it is a rare refrigerator.

Yes, that is where my thinking comes from too, after building a couple of high-end sailing yachts. We used a lot of Sugatsume products at the time. There probably are many more choices now. Some of the high-end RVs use similar latching systems.

The latch pictured looks like a Southco. which is used in marine applications. But remember, a lot of the marine industry is just floating RVs, so be picky.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Would have to modify to mount an external latch, may be an option. The Fisheries Supply unit is an exact match so may go with that if I decide to keep with original system. Thanks again.

How about putting new wear surfaces on the parts? A little trim coil could extend the life for years. Even an epoxy cover could extend the life as you could replace it as it wore tgrough.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Would have to modify to mount an external latch, may be an option. The Fisheries Supply unit is an exact match so may go with that if I decide to keep with original system. Thanks again.
A lot of the parts we used on our boats came from Fisheries Supply. They are local and good folks.

Adding material to the wear surface could be feasible, some hard setting epoxy or similar material. I have found replacement parts, same as OEM if I want to keep it original. Think I will try the magnetic cabinet latch from Home Depot, cheap and has a 15# rating whereas the original latch is only 10# rated.