Superior B1138 fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewedge

Nov 14, 2023
Manteca CA
I'm trying to find what kind of fireplace I have. I just moved into this house and it has a Superior model#B1138. It needs a new screen and I'd like to find out more about this model.

Is this a gas or wood fireplace?

Is this a gas or wood f

fireplace 002.JPG

Hope this post isn't too late.That's what I'm trying to find out. I think the people that lived in this house before me were burning wood. The firebox is very small and is surrounded by some kind of inch thick ceramic phony brick. the floor is also made of the same stuff. When I look up into the shoot it's all sheet metal. There are no gas lines or electrical cords anywhere around the fireplace.So my best guess is somebody had a gas insert put in at some point and then later removed all the gas lines and equipment. that's why I wanted to know if the model numbers indicated what kind of insert it is. I think this house was built in the 80s. Not really sure. So if anybody has a clue. I would really appreciate it.

fireplace 003.JPG fireplace 002.JPG

Hope this post isn't too late.That's what I'm trying to find out. I think the people that lived in this house before me were burning wood. The firebox is very small and is surrounded by some kind of inch thick ceramic phony brick. the floor is also made of the same stuff. When I look up into the shoot it's all sheet metal. There are no gas lines or electrical cords anywhere around the fireplace.So my best guess is somebody had a gas insert put in at some point and then later removed all the gas lines and equipment. that's why I wanted to know if the model numbers indicated what kind of insert it is. I think this house was built in the 80s. Not really sure. So if anybody has a clue. I would really appreciate it.

View attachment 318836 View attachment 318837
It is not an insert at all it is a prefab fireplace and it is meant for burning wood. Gas logs can also be put in it

Thanks for your responce. You have cleared up a question nobody around here seems to know. Now I can burn wood this winter without thinking that it was ment for gas or electricity. Your awesome. When you said Gas logs can also be put in. Did you mean a gas log set up could also be installed along with gas piping.

Last edited: