Superior FC-3880 Questions\Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bean520

Dec 2, 2019
USA
Hello! Total newbie here, so I'm sorry if this is awful to read...

My wife and I got a wild hair and decided to rip into our old gas fireplace. Our intent was to remove the fireplace, cap the gas line, and install one of those fake inserts just to make the room look better. Anyway, we took out the gas burning part and now we are left with a "firebox" that appears to be encased in the masonry work. There is a nameplate on it with the model of "FC-3880." The blower assembly model number is "FAK-1500." Grate model SFGR-38. UL Testing 127.

I'm finding all sorts of confusing information. Was this originally a wood fireplace? and I just removed a gas insert? Should I be able to find a more modern gas insert that will fit this? or could I go back to wood?

Also, when removing the gas insert dealio the chimney pipe fell down. Is that normal? It's like a thick flexible dryer hose looking pipe inside a larger pipe. I'm scared that it might have come apart at the roof? Should I be able to see light outside of the inner smaller pipe? This is my biggest worry right now. I need to know if I need to call in a professional to fix something or if this is normal. Hopefully I don't have birds and bees moving in soon....or even worse the rain!

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. I'm thinking I might have a fireplace company come take a look and give me some quotes, but since I know nothing about fireplaces I'd like to learn a bit more about them. I don't want to get talked into something I don't need by a salesperson.

Last edited:
What you have is a factory built, wood burning fireplace with a gas log set.
You need to find the owners manual to see which gas log sets or inserts are allowed to be installed in this unit.

As for the pipe, yes this is critically important and needs to be assessed and fixed before doing anything further.

Can you post pix of what you removed? Sounds like you had a gas insert instead of gas logs. Gas logs do not have a dedicated venting system. There should be a dedicated cap for the vent.