Supreme novo 18 or like stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dajolu

Nov 27, 2023
New York
Hey,

New to the forum 👋. My wife and I are doing a pretty major kitchen/dining room renovation. We have settled on having an alcove built to put a wood stove in and utilize an existing masonry chimney. My wife likes the look of the Supreme Novo 18 with the wood storage under the stove. I found the Stuv 16 also has a similar look. From what I have read on this forum I am leaning towards the Novo 18. The stove will function primarily as an aesthetic piece in the dining area, but I do want to be able to heat the space (maybe 500 sq/ft) and burn efficiently. Being in the Alcove and having a fan I think the Novo would blow heat nicely into the area. Any other stoves I should look at? Would like any input from a Supreme stove owner. Thanks!

Reactions: LittleMissMessy
Did anyone reply? I am in a similar spot although I'm hoping to heat 1200 sq ft part of our new build. I'm looking at the MF Fire Nova because it seems to have less emissions than the Supreme Novo series.

No one responded. We have decided to go with a more traditional wood stove and probably going to get the Hearthstone Green Mountain 60 stove. If and when I get it installed I will post some photos and a review.

Clearances for alcoves are different. Pay close attention to the alcove installation requirements for the stove. Clearances must be met or exceeded. If protection is added to reduce clearances it must comply with NFPA 211.

Clearances for alcoves are different. Pay close attention to the alcove installation requirements for the stove. Clearances must be met or exceeded. If protection is added to reduce clearances it must comply with NFPA 211.

The contractor is building the alcove with non combustible materials. I think he knows what he is doing.. at least I hope he does.

Don't hope so, building out of non-combustible materials is not necessarily the same as satisfying the reduced clearance requirements for the stove. This is a common mistake.

Don't hope so, building out of non-combustible materials is not necessarily the same as satisfying the reduced clearance requirements for the stove. This is a common mistake.

As per the Green mountain 60 manual. For alcove clearance to combustibles they list: Minimum alcove width 52" and Minimum ceiling from floor 61.5. The planned alcove in my house is set to 50" width and 72" high framed and finished with non combustible studs / wall board/ tile. I think I am ok with just a 2" reduction in the width but maybe I should just ask him to make it 52" for good measure. . .

Attachments

• Clearances.pdf
    69.8 KB · Views: 41
Is the 50" width the final finished interior dimension? If so, you are ok. If the non-combustible studs are metal then the clearance is measured to the wall or studs behind the metal studs. So, if the studs are 3.5" and the cement board + tile = 1", then the combustible surface width is 9" + 50".

Reactions: Dajolu