Surging fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Just had to change out my exhaust fan bearings went and seized, 2 days later the room blower packed it in. Thinking a bearing or the brushes are so bad they flipped in the holder, motor will turn but lots of resistance. After I changed the room blower I still had embers in the stove to it fired up instantly and ran as normal. Now when I fire it up from a cold start as the stove is still in startup mode and starts to detect heat the room blower will surge for maby a min untill the stove detects its at full heat and stops startup mode and then surging will stop. Now I'm wondering if the POF disk above the blower would cause that if it was starting to fail? I know previously the room fan would kick in and sometimes speed up if the startup was to hot then turn itself down to normal but I have not heard the stove do that for a while but who knows how long that blower was bad for... I would think if the board was shot it would work or not

Would be helpful if we knew the make, year, and model of the stove
zrock maybe it is time for you to put that info in your signature just a suggestion.

When my low limit thermodisc is going bad, the room blower will sometimes surge when the temperature is on edge, and the stove isn’t in full run mode. Usually it’s when shutting down, it will surge a few times after cooling down before finally stopping. But it could go the other way too, surging during warmup.

Well replaced the high temp disk and nothing really changed so i guess ill order POF disk and see if that eliminates the startup surge..

something that keeps coming to mind while i wait for some OEM sensors... Im beginning to wonder if i blew level 3 in the control board for the fan? Level 1, 2, 4, 5 the blower speed all seems normal but level 3 the fan sounds much louder than it ever has, sounds like it has defaulted to level 4 for the fan.. If this makes sense. When the room blower failed it was in startup on level 3 so im wondering if the motor seizing up messed up that level and that is also why it surges on startup, its hunting for level 3? Later today im going to fire it up on a different level and see if that changes anything. Been planning on ordering a new board anyway as a back up..

Anyone know of a Canadian supplier for this? since getting it from usual sources im going to get nailed with duties. Just like th e snap disks by the time i get them here its going to be a $200 order

Well i have come to the conclusion that when the blower went it somehow must have fried something on the board. Jumped all snap discs today after a good cleaning and nothing changed. Only other option is the new motor itself is fubared.. Now it is starting to surge on the lowest setting.. New board on the way hopefully things last until then..LOL

Reactions: Mt Bob
Well new controll board in and so far it seemed to start up normal no surging . Now it seems setting 1-3 the blower works as it should, 4-5 say at the same fan speed of 3. Before all the levels the fan speeds used to change accordingly.. also now setting 1-3 the speed seems to be slightly higher than before... I double checked and I do have the proper board.. still waiting for oem snap disks to arrive

Reactions: Mt Bob
Well all fixed... after the new control board it seemed like the room blower was blowing way harder than it should have been on settings 1-3 and very little change from 4-5. Big surprise here and i never expected it but i replaced all the new eaby/amazon snap disks with OEM. All the fan speeds leveled out and operate as they always did, 1-3 seemed to have lowered slightly in speed so it does not sound like a jet taking off.. I never expected this change just by changing snap disks since they are really just a on off switch.. No more ebay/amazon crap for me unless its OEM..