sweetgum for smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian89gp

Minister of Fire
Mar 15, 2008
Kansas City
Been burning a lot of sweetgum, and have noticed that the smoke has a very appealing smell to it. Has anybody had experience smoking with it? Searching on google shows a bunch of polar opposite opinions between never under any circumstances use it to people that use it all the time. The ones that say never to use it usually mention that they couldn't get it to burn, so I'm wondering if they are trying to burn it green and just giving up on it.

I have never used it, but I have burned a little before. It is possibly THE worst splitting wood out there, so getting it processed down to smoker sized chunks would take some effort. It also burns really hot and really quick, which aren't ideal for smoking...but you probably know this already having burned it.

There's only one way to find out...;) You could start by grilling a few pork chops over some coals to get the idea of the flavor...worst case scenario you are out a few bucks and an hour of your time if they taste like burnt tires.

I haven't used it but have a restaurant locally that does and swears by it. It can get bitter a lot faster than other smokes but they chip it up and soak it in apple cider or sprite for awhile to slow the fast burn time. Whatever you smoke, it wont take long but trial and error will be your true test, let me inow how you make out as I'm always up for something new. I bought Jack Daniel chips over the summer, actual pieces of whiskey barrels, that are just amazing as it smokes and tastes just as good. Best of Luck to you with this experiment!

Status
Not open for further replies.