Switch Grass??????????????????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Just got back from the pellet stove dealer. He has the Pellet stove that also burns "Switch Grass"
Has anybody used this or know about this new fuel??

I also would like to know about the Quadra-fire pellet stoves in general. If you have one how has it been???

Thanks John

There is not really a market for switch grass pellets yet. I heard there might be a few places making it in the south eastish area. As for Quad stoves, look all over in this section there are tons of people who love their stoves and a few who have had their problems.

jtp said:
There is not really a market for switch grass pellets yet. I heard there might be a few places making it in the south eastish area. As for Quad stoves, look all over in this section there are tons of people who love their stoves and a few who have had their problems.

Thanks jtp. I like the new "smart operation" On the Mount Vernon.

I h ave heard there are a few guys getting lightly into it. From what they say grass pellets burn very dirty, about twice as dirty as corn which probably means dumping the pan daily. It could be a real deal for folks who aren't in the corn belt or where wood pellets are exaggeratedly priced. Someone posted about it on the iburncorn.com site not long ago. I guess they have a trailerable unit that could be coop utilized and make pellets for around 100 / ton. That would be nice but think of what that would do to the price of hay for critters. I want to go scout some up and try them in my counrtyside sometime. They said they burn too dirty but then prior to the new deeper burnpot they said you can't burn corn without the grinder. I proved them wrong with that one by mixing 5 to 1 with wood pellets and it works beautifully. I bet the same goes for grass pellets just dirtier and needing more cleaning.

Driz said:
I h ave heard there are a few guys getting lightly into it. From what they say grass pellets burn very dirty, about twice as dirty as corn which probably means dumping the pan daily. It could be a real deal for folks who aren't in the corn belt or where wood pellets are exaggeratedly priced. Someone posted about it on the iburncorn.com site not long ago. I guess they have a trailerable unit that could be coop utilized and make pellets for around 100 / ton. That would be nice but think of what that would do to the price of hay for critters. I want to go scout some up and try them in my counrtyside sometime. They said they burn too dirty but then prior to the new deeper burnpot they said you can't burn corn without the grinder. I proved them wrong with that one by mixing 5 to 1 with wood pellets and it works beautifully. I bet the same goes for grass pellets just dirtier and needing more cleaning.

Please keep me informed about your experiment's.i'll try the corn and pellet mix if i can get corn. Thank you. John

johnnywarm said:
Just got back from the pellet stove dealer. He has the Pellet stove that also burns "Switch Grass"

I also would like to know about the Quadra-fire pellet stoves in general. If you have one how has it been???

Thanks John

I'm only 4 days into my new install of a Quadra~Fire Castille model....I cant speak for the other models but this one is very impressive to me. Mine can burn pellets or 50/50 pellets and corn...I am very happy with the Quadra Brand.

AwsumSS said:
johnnywarm said:

Thanks John

I'm only 4 days into my new install of a Quadra~Fire Castille model....I cant speak for the other models but this one is very impressive to me. Mine can burn pellets or 50/50 pellets and corn...I am very happy with the Quadra Brand.

Thanks awsumss. Glad you are happy.

John

Johnnywarm you should edit your info so everyone can see where you are. It matters sometimes in the response you get like corn vs pellets pricing ect. Also don't get carried away with the corn thing just yet. Its got its ups and downs and right now is too expensive in most cases. Thats where the location comes in. If you can buy it from a local farmer it could be a reasonable deal but you have to hunt it up pretty much by knocking on doors. Otherwise you can go to the nearest elevator if you have a pickup truck and TRY to get them to sell you a ton in the back. If you go that route DO put a tarp down at least in the tailgate area so you don't feed the birds all the way home via the tailgate seam. Don't be surprised if they don't want to deal with you either, it happens. They like to sell many tons at a time so if someone says they can only do it at a certain time of day and call ahead then suck up to him and do what he says. There are times of day when the big farm trucks and their delivery trucks line up and they don't want you tying up their production. I always went very late in the day.
Aside from that enjoy the pellets they are SOOO much cleaner. Don't get carried away about the heat value either as most corn is a lot wetter than ideal for burning and it effects its burn accordingly. Expect the high propane prices to keep that trend going as they develop ways to store corn wetter and yet not spoil. Some corn burns great but I nearly always put some pellets into it as it keeps it from forming a clinker to some extent. The other big thing to remember as one of the top commandments is :WHEN STOVE RUNS BADLY FOR NO REASON CLEAN IT WELL. Seems to cure about 75% of pellet stove running problems. Don't forget the innards in back either, they get grungy too. I use my air compressor to blow that out, especially the motors. It all helps. Enjoy your burning.......

It all helps. Enjoy your burning.......[/quote]

I will. Thank you. John

Status
Not open for further replies.